It's not much but they are my very first Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by toni, Jun 27, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My poor tomato plants have had a rough season in my backyard. First they were broken and 'de-leafed' by the hail storm we had in mid-April but they actually had enough life left to start growing and leafing out. Then they started setting fruit, but the first few the birds got since I was still down with my back and couldn't keep an eye on them.

They don't get watered nearly as much as they would like, but the certainly do get lots of sun :rolleyes:

Today I went ahead and harvested these so I could beat the bird to them and have some for myself.

They are Roma II, Grape Tomatoes and a couple of stunted Early Girls.

[​IMG]
    All my Tomatoes....so far ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Gee, Toni, I wish you lived on our road. I'd bring you some over the fence. We carried a bag into town this morning and gave them to the girls at Texas Burger. The birds don't seem to bother ours.
    I hope you get many more before the summer is over.
    dooley

4. toni

I had really hoped to have enough of the Roma's at one time to make tomato sauce to freeze. There are a few more out back and these aren't quite ripe so maybe I can get enough sauce made to cover a meatball or two :rolleyes:

5. Miss Liberty

Miss Liberty Seedling

It's a nice start considering the trials and tribulations you went through to get this far. My tomato plants aren't anywhere near bearing fruit yet.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gosh Toni--I would be over the moon with such a harvest.
    Those toms of yours deserve some kinda medal. I thik as a special tribute of appreciation for their stamina, will to live and harvestable production that you ought to treat them to a nice meal.

They'd like that.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni,
    Tomatoes that had suffered what yours have suffered, in anyone else's yard, would be history! The fact that they are living and giving fruit is a testament to your green thumb and the tomato's will to live.
    I've been freezing marinara sauce, and today I dried cherry tomatoes and put them in olive oil in jars. Our tomato harvest is not what I had hoped, due to the drought. Hand watering just isn't the same as a good rain!

8. toni

Miss Liberty, I have just been amazed at these plants. It was almost like they needed to be beat up a bit before they could really get growing.

Sjoerd, I am ticked pea-green to have these beauties. As soon as they are completely ripe I want to get the Roma's frozen then add more as they ripen until I have enough for a nice pot of sauce. The Early Girls are going to end up on my lunch plate soon, I need to find some fresh mozarella cheese, I have the basil and now I have home grown tomatoes... I am really looking for to that.

Jane, how do you use the cherry tomatoes after drying and putting them in oil? I couldn't find any Cherry tom plants at the nurseries that's why I bought the Grape Toms. I wonder if the Grape tomatoes would be a good substitute.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Those look delicious Toni! Oh what I would do for a home grown tomato!

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great job Toni! They look scrumptious!

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Oh i love the shape of most of those,..talk about shaped for easy cutting,..lovely stuff.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Toni, they look great. You have done a great job getting some toms from your patch. nice varieties also.

13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Great haul Toni. After the perilous journey your tomatoes were put through I'm glad they are now fulfilling their destiny... ending up in your salad.

14. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh Toni you did well with your tomato plants. I'd be proud as Punch if I had such healthy looking fruits.

15. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wish everyone lived close to me. I am about tomato`d out ! Toni and Dooley, If you want a variety that is a good sauce or eating variety, try Arkansas Traveler next year. I tried them this year and they are great for both. Meatier and less juice than others little if any core, very prolific, few problems, slightly less acid than other eating types and medium sized. Only problem I have had with them is blistering from the heat, but most of mine that are on the top of the vine have had some blistering. I saw Dooley`s post about making sauce yesterday and thought I would throw this tidbit in. Doesn`t hurt to know the pro`s and cons of different varieties if you have not tried them before.

16. toni

In the photo of my tomatoes, see the darkest red round one that would be in the 1 o'clock (0100 or 1300 on a 24 hr clock) position? I just sliced into it and ate it....wonderful, nice and meaty with a great flavor. Skin was a little tough but I definitely want more of those now and for next year as well. Maybe the weather conditions will be better so I can eat myself into a stupor all through the summer.