I've been craving something new/different

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Apr 12, 2014.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

So I've been stopping by the usual nurseries... plant nurseries... NOT baby ones. I'm not having "those" kinda cravings! :D
    And I've picked up some things that I want, like Wave Petunias, Coneflowers, Impatiens. "Normal" stuff. But I've had this craving for some new and different plants. Hmmm... my sis-in-law GsdRuth mentioned a place about an hour away that I've never been too. Or I could drive into Houston or Beaumont (also about an hour to either from home).
    Then it hit me. I haven't been by this one locally, family-owned nursery this year. It's about 15 minutes from my office.
    I was feeling kinda depressed because the weather has been gorgeous the last couple of days, and I've been stuck at work. So, on my lunch break, I decided to go see what they had.
    There are no mark-down racks. And some things seem a little pricey. But they have a nice variety. I spent too much money. But I'm tickled silly with my finds!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I picked up some Forget-me-Nots, Forest Fire Salvia, Royal Red Buddleia and four more that I just had to take separate photos of.
    First is this Petunia. Yes... I know, I just bought some, but NOTHING like this. The photo doesn't do it justice. In real life it's almost black.

[​IMG]
    Debonair Black Cherry Petunia ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And there was this Dahlia. I've never tried growing one because they supposedly don't like it here. But it was just too darn pretty not to buy. If I only get to enjoy it for one year, I'll be happy. It was just too pretty not to bring home.

[​IMG]
    Dahlia Mystic Wonder ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I also grabbed a variegated Kalanchoe. Cute little thing just hopped onto my cart.

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoe - Variegated ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And for the grand finale... a Hibiscus. I bid on one at the church's silent auction last year. Sis-in-law also bid on it, but our cousin out-bidded us both. So when I saw them, I quickly grabbed one and sent her a text asking if she wanted one too (I already knew the answer). :D

[​IMG]
    Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Variegata ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

It's border-line hardy for my area, but should be okay at my sis-in-laws. I just had to bring it home and give it a try.

I just realized the difference between "plant cravings" and "baby cravings". In both cases, you can't wait to bring them home but with plants, you don't have to deal with all the weight gain and throwing up. :D

Frank, eileen, toni and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kay
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh heh heh...well I enjoyed your post this time, Cheryl. It had the beauty of the new plants and the humour along with it. I really enjoy humour.

Some of those I have experience with and others are new to me.

It was so enjoyable to see what your taste is in plants. I am quite interested in seeing where you will put them in your lovely garden grounds.

I especially like the Forget-me-nots. I grow them every year--they are a very lovely highlight in the plots and the bees are mad about them. Someone once told me that my flower garden plots looked like they were under water with my plants growing up out of the water. hahaha. A good description, I thought.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I already have so many plants that need to go into the garden that I have to quash my plant cravings ... but... your Dahlia Mystic Wonder has me drooling all over my keyboard. :smt055 :drool: :drool: :drool:

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Very nice Cheryl. I know the mark down rack is always a draw, but new not marked down cause they are on their "last leg" are so refreshing. Good job. That is a beautiful dahlia.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wonderful finds Cherylad! I've been noticing movement at the local greenhouses lately. The weather has FINALLY started acting like spring so I think they will be opening soon. :)

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Great choices. The plants knew you were coming and turned on the charm. The next time you go there the nursery will have to put out the Cheryl Magnet…..SALE! SALE!! :)

Jerry

8. cherylad

Sjoerd... as I was picking out a spot for the Forget-Me-Nots, I realized I should have bought more. I love that pale blue... it's a color that I need more of in the garden.
    I like that description of your's. Maybe I'll just have to go back and buy a few more of them. ;)

Eileen & Carolyn... That Dahlia is a stunning color. It almost looks bronze. I did a little reading up on them and it says they really like it in the sun. Hope it likes the spot I selected for it.

Netty... Hope your nurseries open soon so you can find some new babies too.

Jerry... They had alot of stuff marked "on sale", but honestly I think it was just inflated prices marked down to "normal". :D I don't drive by there very often, so I don't know if they do big sales or not. But it sure is nice to see different stuff.

Thanks everyone!

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, The dahlias are almost indestructible here.yours should be fine.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really like that Hibiscus, will it have red or white blooms?

Inflating the price and then marking it down is done all the time. I read recently that the markup percentage on plants can be as high as 250% depending on the type of plant. I think I would rather buy plants on the markdown table if they look viable.
    This is the best time of the year for plant sale prices, Spring inventory is being cleared out for Summer plants so the plants are still in good condition they just have more than they can sell. It's usually the plants on the sale table in late Summer/early Fall that are their last leg and probably won't have time to revive before winter.

11. cherylad

Toni, the Hibiscus will have red blooms. Let's just hope I can keep it protected over the winter enough so that it'll come back.