Japanese beetles!!!!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by JenniferL, Jun 26, 2012.

1. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

I have the beetles bad! I think 10x as many as last year, and it is gross. So far it is just on the wild grape vine, but last year they ate up my hibiscus so I don't want them getting any further. They just came this week and I keep trying to sweep them into a bottle of soapy water but I can't keep up. Any other suggestions???

2. Loading...

3. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

They are particularly bad here this year too. From what I've read, there's probably not a lot we can do this year (especially with a large yard like mine), but treating the grubs in the lawn in August/September would be a good idea. I've knocked a bunch off my cherry trees into soapy water and threw them on the ground around the trees. Not sure if it actually worked, but it was worth a try.

I found this link helpful.
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg7664.html

4. Jim K

Jim K New Seed

I've also had problems with these beetles attacking my grape vines and blueberry plants. I sprayed them with a product called "Seven" and it kept them away for a few weeks.

Jim

5. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

Is that bird and pet friendly?

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sevin is non-toxic to mammals, but deadly for honeybees, and other pollinators.
    There is a product called "milky spore" which is a bacteria, spread on the lawn or orchard area, which attacks the Japanese Beetle grubs and kills them. The major advantage is that the spore lives in the soil and attacks the grubs for several years. Another advantage is that it attacks grubs, nothing and nobody else!
    We have beehives, so don't use Sevin. Our neighbors don't either, bless their hearts!

7. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

Yes, we are having our lawn treated this summer, but that won't help until next year from what I understand. I just hate using any chemical that hurt the wildlife and pets. I will just continue with my soapy water, but feel like it is a losing battle right now.

8. ToadinNH

ToadinNH New Seed

Those guys are out in force this year where I am as well.

One year I set out a few of those bag-a-bug traps. I can't believe how quickly those bags filled up. There must have been thousands of beetles in each bag within a week.

I'm not sure if they trap good insects too, though....?

9. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I know it is said NOT to use traps.It is said a lot by ones urging you to spray,spray,spray.We live on an acerage with plenty of space around our flowers & are able to hang traps downwind a ways away from flowers.Before we got traps, beetles were devouring our Bluebird Althea & cannas. Roses,too.Just cut roses way back & will have a fall rose display.
    I doubt traps would help on smaller lot.
    I don't think they attract much of anything except Jap. bs.
    sewNsow

10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

We are surrounded by corn & bean fields.I learned today that the airplane I've been seeing is spraying corn for Japanese Beetles.
    We still have traps a ways away & are not getting as many.Damage to my stuff is lessening.I used some rose dust I had on hand & it helped a lot.Guy told me today that they should be going in a week or so. Then it will be those little green bugs that come from the fields.They eat my zinnias & love sunflowers.
    sewNsow