Junk yard of a lifetime and the stuff I brought home

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, May 26, 2012.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

View of Herrins from on high
    See the trucks parked to the left, those will give you something to relate the size of this place to. The whole photo is the junk yard, under those trees are 6 full sized school buses and thousands of interesting things to see.
    I told Randy I was surprised at how much I bought and he said he was surprised at how little I bought. It was very hot, sweat rolling down into my eyes and down my back, so we will go back in the fall.

These are just a few photos of what was in this place....
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    I want at least one of these next time. ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Me on a search for goodies ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    One path amount many, we got lost a couple of times ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    More and more ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Now for what I bought....
    [​IMG]
    Bed springs to become bean trellises ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    10 fence pickets for craft project idea ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

This is going over a small bed of Daffodil bulbs to hide them until they come back next spring. Now I need to find a couple of plants to go on there.
    [​IMG]
    Cast iron heater base for potted plant stand ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Old tin, clean it, paint it and hang it soon. ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The hanger is needed out front to hold a basket of Creeping Charlie that Cheryl sent me. The plow discs will be cleaned, painted, mounted on cedar posts to be butterfly puddles.
    [​IMG]
    Plant hanger and two plow discs ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The pot will go with one of the rain barrels and I always need vine trellises ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Another section of things to line the garden path, think I will paint them bright orange!!
    [​IMG]
    Wooden posts, painted, mounted on steel rods to be path liner ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Donna S
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Donna S
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Wow that place looks like an absolute treasure trove! I can understand someone getting lost there for hours on end. How long of a drive away is it Toni?

4. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

omgosh what a treasure chest of ideas you are so lucky

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow! That looks like a great place! I would have definitely left with a few of those wagon wheels! Great finds Toni!

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Toni--You are a very interesting & creative person. I wouldn't have seen the potential in some of those things until you pointed it out.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Looks like everything you could ever want is there. A little scrubbing , grinding or painting and you have what you need..........Toni!! .........she was right here.............Toni!!!!.......Lost again :)

Jerry

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'll have to remember that place. Hubby is from a town just east of Lufkin. I think I even remember him mentioning this place before. Hmmmm.... I'm going up there soon... don't think he'll mind me being a few hours late? I'd love to get one of those wagon wheels.
    Great finds Toni! Can't wait to see them situated in their new home.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Frank that's about a three hour drive from me so a day trip next fall is entirely possible.

Donna, there is a huge section of the place filled with glasses and dishes too and the original storage building is crammed full.

Netty, I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting a couple of those wheels so they are on the top of the list for next fall's trip.

Thanks CM, but many of 'my' ideas come from gardening magazines and two books I have about decorating with flea market and junk yard finds..so I really shouldn't take all the credit. But using the heater base as a plant stand was my idea.

Jerry, at one time trying to figure out how I got to where I was, I was thinking they should have some long sticks with flags on them so spouses could use them as a location device for missing loved ones.

Cheryl, it's on Highway 59 north of Lufkin. They are closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Those wheels are metal, don't know if that's what you want or not.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Toni... I zoomed out on the map you supplied. I know exactly where it's at. From Lufkin (south of there) if you take Hwy 103 east about half an hour... that's where Hubby's family is from. And for some reason, I may have been there before when they took a load of scrap metal to recycle. Maybe that's why the name sounds familiar?
    And yes... the metal wheel would be what I'd like... I can just picture it near the "trough" fountain with something growing all over it.

11. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

Great finds Toni :-D

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'll post a reply when I get over my "envy attack" :smt012 .
    Honest to Pete Toni, you can see gold in dross. I need to go wander around our local scrap metal place and see if I get inspired.
    Oh, how I wish I had your creativity! Wouldn't hurt to have a tad of Cheryl's creativity either.

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Those Bed Springs are ideal for your Beans,..or for any other climbers,..great Pot Stand as well,..its amazing what is otherwise known as junk but can have a usefel new life in the garden.

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh golly, that place is huge! :eek: I'm actually amazed that you managed to find your way to the items you got.

Toni, you're the living proof of the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Well done! :stew1: