Lappendag

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Every year my town goes totally crazy with what is known as "kermis". This is a term that quickly becomes complicated to translate. It sort of means "carnival" or "fair". However the word, "carnival" exists in Dutch too, but has the meaning similar to what happens in Rio or New Orleans.
    "Fair" denotes a gathering or display of things for judging or displaying. In this sense the Dutch word would be tentoonstelling...and if the meaning of "fair', is one where things are displayed in order to sell, then our word for this would be "markt", or market...I am beginning to recognize the origin of the term, "double-Dutch", aren't you? It's all getting way out of hand and chaotic--like Kermis, and to an even greater degree--like "Lappendag", the subject of this posting actually.
    Lappendag is a day where the town is filled with private individuals as well as small and large businesses who set up stalls to sell things a significantly reduced price. The stage is set for chaos.

So, to continue--after ten days of kermis (lots of wild and dangerous-looking rides, cotton candy and those hopeless games like throwing a ball at bottles, and the shoving bar which hopefully will make coins drop into the slot below for you)...is what is known here as "Lappendag". It falls immediately on the day (monday) right after the kermis ends.

This is a day that begins early in the pre-dawn hours. At 04:00 or 05:00 the first shoppers begin trickling into the city. The drive, bike take the buss or train...but they come. They come in droves...nay in hords, like lemmings or wildebeests.
    The stalls and curbside displays are ready and waiting for them. The entire town is closed off for ALL traffic of all sorts this day so that shoppers can walk where they want.

If men arrive with their partners, then the edge of the market is where the two part ways.
    The women disappear into the massa like a stone sinking in the ocean, and the guys seek out their favourite kroeg (pub) and begin drinking alcohol(even at 05:00 in the morning!). This all goes on until around 17:00 when the pubs and market close until 20:00 and then the drinking begins again for those still left standing.

A few pics to illustrate this phenomenal day:
    The lads have begun feeling merry as they wait...and look.
    [​IMG]

A couple of the older men hanging out ...waiting for a sign from their mates. It is a day for young and old alike.
    [​IMG]

...anddddd the shopping has begun! It's elbow to elbow.
    [​IMG]

As time goes on, it gets chaoticer and chaoticer. A frenzy of shopping, bargaining wheeling and dealing....
    [​IMG]

The streets become so jammed that one can barely move forward...or sidewards... or backwards for that matter. To exist here one must enjoy feeling cozy and not be burdened with a demand for one's own "private space", I think.
    [​IMG]

It becomes like a sea of humanity with few open places...and there is lots of noise, almost deafening.
    [​IMG]

Once the shopping is done, and you have found a way out of that grid-lock of people....like this woman, far from the madding crowd--you call for a pick-up and wish only to be off your feet and at home where it's quiet and peaceful...feet up and a hot cuppa to contemplate your purchases and the events of the day. "Hectic" doesn't even come close.
    [​IMG]

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My goodness, what a wild event. Personally I am not much of a shopper so I think I will sit with the three older gentlemen and have coffee or tea. ;)

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow! I don't think I'd be too happy in the middle of all those people! I'm with Toni ... sitting and having a cuppa :)

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Make that three of us!! We'll all sit and have a good old chin wag and let everyone else be crushed. ;)

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

not me! i wanna get in there and see what all those specials are...then have a cuppa and good rest! :D

thanks for sharing sjoerd! did you find any good deals?

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I wouldn't be there at all. Large crowds are not in my best interest. I like to shop where I can park close to the store and be in and out in as little time as possible. I'm sure that is due to age because we used to go to things like that. dooley

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, it's a daunting experience. I have been a few times, but that was enough for me. Now I just fight the weeds in the lottie and let the diehard shoppers fight the crouds and drinkers.
    No BUNKIE--I did not go and look for deals this year.
    From what I heard, there weren't that many spectacular deals...but I guess that depends upon what you want to buy.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Help! :eek: I got breathing problems just by looking at that throng. The Dutch are tall people and I'm very short so I'd drown for certain. I think I'll bring a picnic basket and a thermos, a folding chair and an umbrella and camp out on the edge of the melée, just to sit there and shake my head at the maniacs going in. :D

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....good planning, Droopy.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I would be at home all comfy and never go near that crowd.I would feel like I couldn't breath.I never go to our fairs in town.Its just not for me.

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

So does this require haggling, or are there set prices Sjoerd? Looks like the markets here.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

...Let me put it this way, Frank--The prices are set. Set until the time a shopper starts haggling. Then the amount that they can get off depends upon how late in the day it is. But the prices are already lower than normal. I am guessing that there are always a small percentage of folks that do not haggle...but everyone that I know does--it's part of the day.