Large shrub, funky shaped large leaves

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Jul 3, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The shrub was outside a really neat junque shop we stopped at yesterday. The shop owner had no idea what it is, it just shows up every year. And yes, I do wish now that I had bought some of those cool metal pieces the shrub is growing around :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Funky, leaf of unknown plant ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The shrub was about 4 feet tall with a spread of about 5 feet, don't know if it gets larger over the course of the summer.
    [​IMG]
    Abt 4ft tall by 5-6 ft wide ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The leaves...a stem with 4 or 5 (I forgot to count) leaves at the end, then the stem puts out another set of 4-5 leaves and grows...just keeps adding length to each stem that way.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Just a shot in the dark here Toni, but I seem to remember an Oak Leaf Hydrangea looks similar.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've searched all my books and it appears to be some kind of maple Toni - most likely a Silver Maple. It's the only leaf shape that looks similar to the ones in your photograph.

Later.....

Toni I've found it!!!!! It's a Broussonetia Papyrifera/ Paper Mulberry (Mulberry Family Moraceae.) so not a maple after all. The male has yellowish curly, woolly catkins and the female produces globular orange-red fruits. A handsome shrub the bark of which is used for paper making in Japan.

[​IMG]