Lavender not blooming. Can I transplant to a sunny location?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Tina, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I started a lavender plant from seed in the spring of 2007. Only two plants grew from a whole packet. Anyway, the plants are about 4" tall and yet to bloom.
    They are in a raised bed in the garden among my two rhododendrons. They don't get a lot of sun - about 2/3 hours of afternoon sun. Is that why they are not blomming? Can I transplant them to a more sunny location? Please help!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. foxgloveandwhiskey
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lavender needs full sun (at least 6 hours a day), very little water and open space around them for air flow.
    Transplanting them shouldn't be a problem since they are still small.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Tina,

I agree with Toni that Lavender needs alot of sun.
    Lavender soil requirements are also markedly different from that of Rhododendrons...in fact, the opposite, actually.

If you have prepared and maintained the bed the way that Rhododendrons like it, then is is almost constantly moist, nutrient-rich and has an acid pH.

Lavenders like dryish, gritty or sandy loam with an alkaline pH (6 - 8 ) and lots and lots of sun.
    Lavender plants do not like to have sustained "wet feet", their place should be fast-draining.
    I can imagine that in a place like Seattle you get lots of rain every year, so making sure that your soil is well-drained where the Lavenders will go could be a challenge.

The soil type and condition in your garden may not be exactly what the Lavenders require, but you can alter that in the place that you plan to plant them.

You mentioned that your Lavenders are in a raised bed with your Rhodies...ironically, it terms of drainage, this soil situation is just what they like--but as I said, if the pH is that typical for Rhododendrons, then it is not right for Lavender.

You could do a little soil test in the spot where you want to plant the Lavender. If the pH is too low, then you can mix some calcium in with the well-balanced compost that you are preparing for the hole.

Lavenders don't need alot of fertilizer when they are young, but you can add and scratch-in a light sprinkling of blood and bone meal in the springtime, especially when rain is expected.
    Some years I do this and I repeat it again after blooming.

Just remember three things for Lavender: Full sun, free-draining soil and making sure the soil is alkaline.

Good luck with your plants. Keep us posted, ok?

5. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks Toni and Sjoerd!
    I put the lavenders back to a pot today. Hopefully, they will do well here. Will certainly keep you posted.

Advertisement
  6. longbranch

longbranch New Seed

SJoerd's advice is right on. I would just add that you really shouldn't expect blooms the first year. You may get a few, but the second year is when you will really see your results.

Good luck and Enjoy!

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What can we add to the dirt to make it more alkaline?

8. longbranch

longbranch New Seed

Adding some lime to your soil will make it more alkaline. You should be able to buy it at a home improvement store or gardening store. (I've never actually bought any since my soil is generally too alkaline) :-?

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Neato-bandito since I have lime on my list for my lilacs too ;)