Lavender?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I bought some lavender seeds. I really want to grow a bunch of it, for the smell, and I love the way it looks too.

I have vivid memories of when I was little..there was a huge lavender bush in my back garden and I can still remember the smell of it. My Mum would bring it inside often...I don't know exactly what she did with it (I seem to recall some kind of crushing of it? ) and the house would smell wonderful.

Ed likes it too, so I've been looking for plants. Can't find any but a seed packet caught my eye, so I figured why not?

It's been a long time since I've actually grown something from seed. There are instructions on the seed packet, so I'll just follow those to get started. But after that, what? Can it be grown as a container plant? Does it die back in the winter or grow all year long?

I guess I need to do some research, I don't even know if it's an annual or a perennial, whether it needs sun or shade or both.........and as I'm thinking about it, I don't guess it's even classified as a flower, or plant, huh? It's actually an herb isn't it?

Hmmm....lots of homework to do here!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ronni I think this link will be of some help to you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Lavender-from-Seed

I've never grown lavender from seed myself but I have had some success growing it from cuttings. I do know you have to be patient with it as it can take a while to mature. Let us know how you get on.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Eileen, thanks so much for the link.

Man!!!! That's an awful lot of prep .... way more than my general thought of just throwing them in a tray with some potting mix and misting them once a day! ;) Wow.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In hotter regions it is an evergreen herb, if you have freezes in the winter you will need to either bring it indoors or treat it as an annual. Full sun, keep it on the dry side and space the plants far enough apart to allow for adequate air flow between them.
    Lowe's and Home Depot have the plants in the herb and veggie section every spring, they might still have some even now.

Click on this blue links for info on the Lavender that many of our members grow ....
    Lavandula multifida (Fernleaf Lavender, Spanish Eyes)
    Lavandula dentata (French Lavender, Fringed Lavender)
    Lavandula angustifolia (English lavender)
    Lavandula stoechas (French Lavender)