Laying a driveway without clearing trees

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by doomhunk, Jan 15, 2007.

1. doomhunk

doomhunk New Seed

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone here could provide me with some advice with regards to putting down a driveway on woodland.

A friend of mine has some woodland through which he need to create an access road for cars. The land itself and the mature trees on it are valuable, so he doesn't want to clear any of the forested area. He has heard that when laying a road, the ground should be dug to a certain depth, and then layers of hardcore, sand etc put down. However, he has also heard that one should not dig under the actual canopy of a tree. Herein lies the problem, as the woodland is apparently quite dense and he would like to position the driveway between several quite closely spaced trees.

I'd be really grateful for any advice you might be able to give.

Many thanks

Mark

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think you would actually need to speak to an expert for this one Doom. :-? Maybe someone from the forestry Commission, or similar organisation, would be able to advise you on how to lay a driveway through the mature trees and at what depth you'd have to dig down to get a firm enough base to support traffic. A tree surgeon could also be a benifit to you as he could tell you if there are any diseased trees that could be removed to open up space for the construction work.

This website is all I could find and I really don't know how much help it is likely to be but I've posted it anyway for you to have a look at.

http://att.bhg.com/att/story.jhtml?stor ... cat1880048

3. doomhunk

doomhunk New Seed

Thanks everso much for your help, Eileen.