Laying a tongue & groove hardwood floor...oh my, so much work!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Cayuga Morning, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Many years ago, my husand and I had replaced wood flooring in our house because it was stained dark brown.

So we had some perfectly good white oak flooring, stained brown. After many years of storage, we took it to our farm.

Here are the photos of the installation.
    IMG_20200711_165059.jpg IMG_20200711_170303.jpg

That blue you see is underlayment that goes down first. The line of wood flooring that you see has been
    aligned with the stairs. It goes down first, then we work outwards on both sides to complete the room. Getting the flooring square in an old very unsquare cottage is a trick.

Because we were using repurposed boards, some were curved a bit, some didn't have tongue & grooves at their ends where they had been cut, some had splintered when we took the old nails out.
    We just had enough wood to floor our loft, so we spent quite a bit of time trying to get the best use out of the wood....we were afraid we would run out. It was like a jigsaw puzzle.

Here is the finished product:. (Keep in mind we haven't reconstructed those side cabinets yet) IMG_20200721_133932.jpg IMG_20200721_133907.jpg

Interestingly, in the cottage the brown stain is not so dark!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You and your husband did a magnificent job! It is so attractive, and fits the cottage to a tee. Aren't you proud of yourselves!:smt109:smt109

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

its a beautiful honey color,,not brown ! :) lovely floor !

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great work, Cayu. You guys did a bang-up job there. It looks very nice, I must say.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

In my culture people say - Never shy away from hard work. As there is absolutely no need to be afraid of getting tired. Because your tiredness will eventually go away once you rest. However what you created, will be enjoyed for a very long time to come...

:setf_016:

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

right s-h !!