Let there be light!! A neighbor cuts down trees :-)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The sounds of a chainsaw attracted my attention this morning and I saw that there was a 'hole' in the tree line. Our neighbor was cutting down trees that, this summer, will allow more light into the yard. Called the 'dark area' in town by a local arborist our hill was/still is covered with trees. Despite having 63 trees cut down, shade is the dominating feature that governs the placement and kind of flowers that are grown in the yard. With the removal of a few more trees by our neighbor some perennials may flourish. If this keeps up I may be able to buy a flower or two that say full sun......maybe.......even the grass may grow.......grass? :)

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have been having some trees taken down too and it is amazing how much sunlight there is in the yards now. Both front and back gardens were getting too much shade as the trees slowly got bigger over the years.

I was running out of full sun in the front garden and I think that's why my plants have been languishing out there for a couple of years.

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup we have the same problem on the south facing side of our home. The people who built it back in 1975 planted roses and a beautiful variegated Weigela along that side of the house.
    They also planted evergreens that are over 30ft tall or larger now. Those poor roses and Weigela are starving for sunlight. They do manage a bloom or two. I would love to move them but they are to old too even think about that. So I try not to think about them struggling along.

5. okietriker

okietriker Seedling

With 50 trees in our yard, we'll be cutting some down also. The only thing we have growing under some of the trees is moss! The moss comes in handy to put in my terrariums but don't need as much as we got.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great news Jerry. Another whole world of possible plants for you to experiment with!

7. Jerry Sullivan

I am chomping at the bit with fun summer stuff like a projection sundial made from hypertufa. The more sunlight the better.

Jerry

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I guess lucky farm field to south and west of me.And glad will be soy beans this year. Neighbor who up and moved left house to the north.He ran chain saw around some of his yard trees. ---Girdled them. Now starting to die.Had one go down. Ripped our meter out of house. Cost us $500. Now you can plant more plants.

9. Jerry Sullivan

The tree cutting continued today. There are no trees remaining in his yard. It will be an interesting summer with full sun.

Jerry

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow. All of the trees? That is a lot of work to clean up the yard afterwards. Great for you though.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Good for some and not good for people that have shade plants...I for one would love some more shade.. He might realize that the shade helps with cooling a house in the warmer months,,,that is a lot of trees to remove.

12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow did he go for it...i agree with Sherry8...to keep a few would have helped with the summer months.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

He cut down EVERY tree?? Sounds like my neighbor who cut down every tree he could on his property. Now there is NO privacy, hot sun, and no wind screen. Not to mention the fact that trees clean the air, provide oxygen, and homes for birds etc. After he cleared his land, there were no birds for about 2 years.

14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Ive seen that happen myself Netty...In Jerry's case, I think this neighbor is in for a rude awakening also when he/she see the electric bills during the summer. Its pretty difficult to cool a home without trees or very deep pockets.

15. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Jerry, do you think he did this because everyone was on his case in town? Probably was so mad that he wasn't thinking straight.

16. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your sun, but truth be told it sounds a bit dramatic. :eek:

We're going to remove a few trees that have grown too big, but I'm not going to remove more than I have to. I want the shade and the birds. Getting too hot in summer isn't an issue here. If we get too hot we think we're privileged. :D