Licensing for pruning shears

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by marlingardener, Jun 24, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I am starting a movement to license pruning shears. If you buy shears, you will be subject to a background check (have you been convicted of crepe myrtle murder?) and have to show a license.
    A potential pruner will get a license after completing a course which includes 1)recognizing a growth node, 2)knowing what an "undercut" is, 3)importance of clean and sharp implements, and other important pruning facts.
    Can you tell I just came from a neighbor's garden where he just finished pruning roses (in June, for heaven's sakes!)?
    If you wish to join the movement, go out there and confiscate pruning shears from the uninformed!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. daisybeans
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A few years ago two different drive-by tree trimmers stopped and asked if I wanted them to trim the crepe myrtles. Our's are 30+ years old and almost 40 feet tall and they wanted to cut them down to under 10 feet to make them pretty.
    A definite case of unlicensed pruning shears being in the wrong hands.

donna in nc likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh yes Toni--always avoid the "dudes with chainsaws"! We had a group stop by and offer to "top" our trees. They were lucky to get away without being "topped" themselves!

donna in nc likes this.
  5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I'm guilty!!! I'm guilty!!! I bought a pair of pruning shears without a license a couple of years ago and till today I still dare not prune my fruit trees. Yes I have a kalamansi and a papaya tree and I just have no idea how to prune it. When I grow pepper I was told to prune it after the first harvest but I can't do it for fear of killing the plant. The papaya tree does not need pruning right?
    So, can I have a lesson on pruning? :)