Lilacs

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

I have these very big Lilac trees/bushes that I want to move. The problem is that I will never be able to dig them up. Someone told me to just cut a branch off and plant it in some good mulch. I did and it died. I have tried this about 10 times and every time they die. Is there a way to get the cuttings to grow. I must cut the trees/bushes down because they are so big they are messing up the side of my house. Plus, the wife does not want them there anymore. Thanks for any help. Enjoy this beautiful weekend. 8)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. gardennut
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. gardening_maniac

gardening_maniac New Seed

Richie, I have huge lilac bushes here too, I've never tried to propogate them but what I do is in the fall, after they have bloomed we just cut them way back and they grow back nice and healthy the following Spring. We pretty much cut them back to nothing to maintain their size and they always grow back with beautiful flowers the next year.
    Also, I've heard it is really hard to propogate lilac bushes. Good luck!

5. Hank

Hank Seedling

Layering is the easiest way. Take a young and spindly branch, bend it over, and bury it in a trench, but leave the top part of the branch sticking out of the ground. You may have to "poin" it in place - I use a tent stake. Leave it be for a few weeks, then cut off the branch where it came from the mother plant. Dig up the new shoot (the top of the branch you buried), and replant it in a new spot.