Lily of the Nile

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I found GardenStew earlier this year when I was trying to ID a plant near my office. I quickly found out it was a Lily of Nile. I waited patiently all year for seeds to be ready. Came back to work on a Monday, and the darn landscapers cut back the stalks over the weekend! AARRGGHH!
    But I was determined to get some seeds from somewhere. I remembered seeing some of the plants at the hardware store, so I went by there and stole a bunch of their seeds and planted them.
    Here's what the seedlings look like.

[​IMG]
    Lily of the Nile seedlings ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And here's how big they are now.

[​IMG]
    Lily of the Nile growing ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I'll be sure to update it's progress. Can't wait for it to grow up and flower!
    And... this seems like a good time to thank everyone here for all the help, photos, tips, jokes, etc.
    I love this place!

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

It has been brought to my attention that these may NOT be Lily of the Nile seedlings afterall.
    I don't know what happened with the seeds I stole. I'm so confused! :headscratch:
    I brought them straight home and planted them.
    Guess only time will tell what I've got growing.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know what your seedlings are Cherylad but isn't it exciting waiting to see what they develop ito? They're certainly looking fit and healthy no matter what they are. :-D

5. cherylad

yes... it'll be fun to see what they are... but I sure had my heart set on Lily of the Nile! :'(

Oh well... I'll get some of those in the Spring, one way or the other! ;)

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

If those plants aren't Agapanthus you'll know soon enough I guess. Did you use sterile soil or soil from your garden for swoing?

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Cheryl--You know, in that last picture of a seedling growing in some sort of white container: It looks like you have two different plants in that container. The smaller plant to the left seems to have narrower and more pointy leabves than it big neighbour to it's right.
    I do have to agree though, that neither of these two seedlings look like the beginning leaves of an Agapanthus. I grew Agapanthis from seed once and its leaves were narrow and longish--almost like a sort of grass or something.

The thing is Cheryl, I think that I recognize this little seedling, but I just cannot think what the name is. I have grown it, or seen it growing in my garden.
    Do you recall how tall the plants were that you took the seeds from...and what the pods looked like?

8. cherylad

I planted the seeds in fresh store-bought potting soil. They were never mixed with any other seeds.
    I didn't get a photo of the actual plant that I got the seeds from, but it was identical to this one near my office.

[​IMG]
    Lily of the Nile - full view ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I didn't get a photo the seed pods, but they were just like the one's in this link. (although they were dry and opening when I got the seeds)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 8Aa4gpG3BQ

The tray with the seeds was placed underneath my trailer to protect them from hard rains, or wind (as per instructions I found online). So, I'm really stumped as to how different seeds got there. Unless of course, they were in the potting soil?

don't you just love a good mystery?
    :eek:

9. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Yhe little seedling with the lobed leaves looks to me like little viola seedlings? I would love to have some of those. :p

10. cherylad

Hmmm... Did a Google Search for Viola Seedlings... these don't quite look like the one's I found. But who knows at this point?

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I think the wind blew seeds into your
    little pots andI think it is petunia plants (like toni found) growing,but who knows your Lilly of the Niles may still show up in those pots too.

13. cherylad

Since what I thought were Lily of the Nile turned out to be a mystery plant. I decided to start some more.
    This time, I put the seeds in a covered container... so no more surprises from the wind or the birds!
    :D

14. cherylad

Toni... not sure if it's Petunias. the close-up shows that it's "hairy". Mine aren't.
    But it would be nice if it were Petunias... I'd love to have some.