Little Favourites.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree Syd. I look forward to these lovely little birds visiting me each winter. :-D

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'm glad you decided to share the photos Sydney. Quite a feast they are having there :)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We don't have those birds here, so I doubly appreciate your good photos.
    Do you make your own suet balls? It seems they are quite delicious to the visiting birds!

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen,Jane,Frank,all. I was absolutely certain these would go down very well - gorgeous little creatures and so very full of life - love to see them ( all too infrequent this ) on the feeders and again when nicely in zoom camera range in numbers "working over" the bare treetops in autumn/winter.

I have mentioned before that whilst we have masses of beautiful trees where we are the bird numbers and varieties are very low - causes me much concern.
    Jane have seen pics of the lovely birds you get in US including the recent "Blue Jays" pic posted on site here and wonderful they are also.

The fatballs are usually bought but when any solidified fat after cooking I do mix it with Oat flakes - same with unused Peanut butter. Menu is fatballs, Niger seeds, Sunflower seeds/hearts, Mixed seeds. Syd.

A PS. Forgot to mention they get Suet pellets and Meal Worms now and then as extra treats - food scraps go out for the bigger birds.
    Have a couple of pics of another small favourite I will post. Syd.

Another little gem - a very firm favourite. Do so love to see them head up and in full song as in the pic - instantly recognisable as soon as they get going - the concrete post puts its size well into perspective. Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

Another feeder fan - it visits now and then but not as often as would be liked. Syd.

[​IMG]

Love all birds to bits but this one is WOW to me - none nicer to see and hear singing than these. Take a nice quiet calm summer evening and hear its lovely song - better still if theres two competing a short distance apart - continuous bliss??.

Their numbers have decreased a lot generally but at last property we had them regularly in the garden - sadly this pic shows the only one seen in the 4 years we have been here.

In last garden we found them to be very tame especially when they had youngsters - usually 3 or 4. Once you had established a contact - thats a "theres grub with this guy" contact - they would bring the young to you getting nearer each time - finally to the door.

There was one adult used to come right up to our feet - wife was talking to friend at front gate and friend said "theres a bird by your feet" - t'was our "Thrushy" as we called him/her. Wonderful. Syd.

[​IMG]

Now heres one that will most certainly not be seen on the feeders. First came across it (2013) sitting on the garden wall - it had a wander round and then went - came back from time to time no doubt encouraged by the handfull of seeds I threw it. Did not see it at all last year. Syd.

[​IMG]

Another singing away. Everyones favourite. They also can be very tame - round your feet whilst gardening etc. We had one at last address that used to come into the conservatory and sit on a chair back - put some food just outside - it went to it, had a feed and away. Regular thing this was. Syd.

[​IMG]

Frank, Henry Johnson, Kay and 4 others like this.
  7. Frank

Hi Sydney, just a quick note about double posting (point 3.6). I've merged your last few posts into one single post.

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Frank. Sorry about that but it has come up before with me. I am not at all good with PC's and do the best I can - what exactly am I doing wrong pse. Is it that I cannot send individual pics as seperate little posts/comments. Syd.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, we have Downy Woodpeckers come here, too! I love seeing them attack the suet feeder.
    We had three killdeer in the orchard area this morning--it was really cold (for here) and they were running back and forth, probably trying to keep warm!
    You certainly have a nice variety of birds, and if you keep making goodies for them, you'll get even more.

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. A trial run sending the pics in one run trying to avoid this double posting. Having great difficulty - I have no resizing programme in Win 7 and have been sending them from Picasa to My Documents resizing them on the way by adjusting pic quality - thus just a list of numbers in My Documents which I cannot remember which was what. Trying here to do it via My Pictures.
    A few more garden visitors the Dunnock and Goldfinch being rare in this garden and even the Blackbirds only here at certain times. Pics are. Dunnock, Blackbird, Goldfinch, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit. Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. A Downy Woodpecker sounds good - is it literally downy fluffy or does the downy refer to something else. We have three Woodpeckers - the Green and the Lesser and Greater Spotteds - these last two are a little bit shy but the Green is very much so - hear then much more than seeing them.

Sadly my pics may give a wrong impression - they were taken when the birds did appear but generally birds are very scarce in the garden and just hereabouts other than several members of the Tit family - Greats, Blues, Coals, Marsh and Long Tailed.
    Hope you are well. Syd.

12. Frank

Hi Sydney, you can still post individual pics as posts as long as at least one member posts a reply before you add the next post to the thread. This rule is in place to prevent some threads from dominating over others. Thanks for understanding!

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful photos Syd. I love the ones of the birds singing...mouths opened wide! Very uplifting.

14. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Wonderful pictures Syd. Some birds I've never seen. Thanks for posting them.

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Frank - CM - Donna.

Frank. I think I have managed to work out a better way to send the pics. I was sending them individually from My Documents where they only showed as numbers - not the pics themselves. Consequently with the several numbers I could not remember what was what so decided to send them one at a time and thus get the comments applied to the correct one. Have now found a way to send them to My Pictures where I can see the pics themselves and get the correct text with each. I will do my best.

CM - Donna. Thanks for the kind comments - glad you like the bird pics. The opportunities to get them are so few and far between here with the lack of birds - I am so very disappointed this is so. Sorry to say that my cameras do not get used as much as I would like - its another of my favourite hobbies.
    Will look for some more pics. Thanks again and nice to talk to you. Syd.

16. Frank

Hi Sydney, in Windows it is possible to get image files to display in a folder by changing the folder view. I think this link will be very useful for you :)
    Change Folder View in Windows Explorer