Little help with next years garden.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Danjensen, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I like to plan next years garden this time of year. As i have a good feel for what has worked and what didn't. Typically i forget by the fall.

below is a link to my garden plan
    http://www.growinginteractive.com/uploads/plans/182748.jpg

I have a couple of spaces empty that i'm not sure what to plant.

i've given in on growing brassicas as the soil is to sandy.

basically have 3x 1m in full sun and 2x 1m in semi shade.

thanks for the suggestions

2. Loading...

3. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Hi DanJensen, Have you tried growing arugula in your semishade area? It is one of my favorite greens, spicy. I think it would grow well in Montreal, especially in the spring and fall. Reseeds easily, simlar to parsley.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Dan, I looked at your garden and was wondering if you now plant the melons next to you squash or is this the plan for next year?. We have had a cross pollination problem before planting these too close to each other and was wondering if you haven't noticed this problem?

have you tried watermelon in you garden before. We plant it in black plastic "mulch" with a soaker hose underneath it. the plastic keeps it hot and the weeds out and the hose is so you don't have to try to find where to water them once the plants start growing. It does take quite a bit of room though, so try it only if you can afford the space.

Egg plant. I have been told the green japanese ones are sweeter. I have a customer who stops only for them. My egg plants are on the west side of the apple trees and seem to be doing fine without morning sun.

5. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks guys, interesting on the melon, squash.

i have my melons about 20ft away from the squash's (plan isn't accurate with placement)

i have cantalope and watermelon in this year. but i think they need more watering than i am giving them.

must admit eggplant did cross my mind, but i rarely eat it so haven't grown it.

ideally i would like an alternative to the brassicas that prefer sandy soil, and will keep into the winter, i was thinking of some of the chinese varieties might be an alternative.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dan I also noticed you had little marvel peas as the pea on your layout. Is this what you always plant, also? If you are open to suggestions for an excellent pea, we grew these and another one last year and this year, but this was the only time anyone wrote down what was grown. It turns out our new favorite is one called Maestro. We did put it up on a string trellis, they are a little taller than the Little Marvels, but out produced them in pod size continually. they were also easier to pick.

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

must admit its my first pea crop and its been quite good. but plan to plant more next year so will give maestro a try thanks for the suggestion.