Living Room Redo

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by poopsiem, Jan 28, 2009.

1. poopsiem

poopsiem New Seed

I am planning to make some changes to my living room. The sofa is a wedgewood blue and white medium size check. The fabric on the occasional chair is the same blue and white but a medium sized floral design. There is also a white-washed bench with a cushion covered in a blue and white large stripe fabric with cranberry colored flowers and sage green leaves interspersed throughout. Furniture, except for the white-washed bench, is golden oak. My window treatment is an off white sheer with a draped cranberry swag. Accessories are varying shades of blue, cranberry and green.

I am planning on laying down hardwood flooring. Any suggestions as to the color or shade I should use? Should it match the existing golden oak in my room? Should I go with light or dark wood? Also, any suggestions for area rugs? My room can't tolerate any more prints but a solid colored rug seems like it would be boring.

My living room has been characterized as French Country Cottage. I like a feminine looking room, but one with character and interesting textures. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Loading...

3. kdavisinteriors

kdavisinteriors New Seed

I think I have a pretty good vision of your room. Great description. For your hardwood flooring I suggest using a darker shade of wood to provide a contrast to your existing furniture. Try to stay with the same grain of wood. You will find it difficult to match the wood to your furniture exactly and a similar wood shade may look funny.

You have alot of pattern in the room so you really need a solid piece to anchor the space. Although I know you think a solid color area rug may be boring... I think you would be pleasantly surprised how a solid rug will look in your space. A fluffy solid cranberry or sage colored rug would look nice. Either color will look nice with the blue sofa and will tie in with your accents. I recommend putting the rug in the center of the sitting area to define the space. Hope this helps!

Kristina

4. Juliewells

Juliewells New Seed

As all of your accessories are of light color so you can try some dark color also for hardwood floor

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I would go with a flooring color a shade or two darker than the golden oak. You menitoned French Country as your style. What are your thoughts about a braided oval rug in the cranberry or sage. I think it would look lovely. What colors are the walls? Any thought to painting one wall an accent color, say a sage if you are going with the cranberry rug, or visa-versa. Please let us see your pretty new room when completed.

Advertisement
  6. janicejan

janicejan New Seed

I know your concept sounds great but its very common, try to think outside the box to create funky and unique looking designs, experiment on color combination and position of furniture and decors.. this will help to build a pleasant room~

7. rachelbenjie

rachelbenjie New Seed

Your living room redo

Myself and my husband recently redesigned our living room as well. We thought it was going to be really expensive, but was pleasantly surprised that by simply updating the soft furnishings it made all the difference.