Look how good there doing

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by The Lazy g, Sep 29, 2006.

1. The Lazy g

The Lazy g New Seed

[​IMG]
    Well you guys remember them from when i first posted they were smaller?? In my opinion they are doing pretty good. I think there ready for transplant am I correct? also are there any tips you guys can give me for transplanting, also these are tomatoe plants and how big of a pot should i transplant these plants into so they can live in thier new pot until there lives are over?[/img]

2. Loading...

3. The Lazy g

The Lazy g New Seed

colors

also lol the colors in the pic may seem a bit exgarrated i was bored playing with th image in photoshop

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW they really have come on sice we last saw them. :-D Definately ready for transplanting. I always put mine in BIG pots when they reach the stage yours are at as I hate disturbing them too much. Once in the large pots they stay there until after they have fruited and died back. Remember to start feeding them when the fruits begin to set. Good luck and keep the piccies coming. :D

5. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Eileen is right now is the time to put them in a big enough pot to stay in until they die back. If you are looking for a quick and easy food try Miracle Gro.

Advertisement
  6. The Lazy g

The Lazy g New Seed

lol

auctually i been using miracle grow for 2 weeks now mabey thats why there doing so good i just transplanted them into like 1 or mabey 2 gallon pots. ill post another pic later, its a pretty big pot but what if its still to small? Will i still get tomatoes in the pot? Also for the future will bugs mess with them?

7. The Lazy g

The Lazy g New Seed

also

i give them miracle grow every thursday once a week thats about how i am supposed to feed em right? Should I continue using Mirace grow? I also bought some fertilizer spikes that are made espically for tomatoes and feeds them for 8 weeks so should i use that instead what do you think? p.s also lol sorry one more question how much do ya think till i start seeing some tiny tomatoes appear?Thanks for you help

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think you need to double feed your tomato plants. Either the sticks or the miracle grow should do. If you overfeed them they may bolt before they have produced any flowers. Once your plants start to flower it will only be about two weeks before you see your first little tomatoes forming. :-D Are you going to keep them inside or out? If outdoors they'll need a warm, sunny position so that the fruit matures and ripens. Try not to let your plants get too 'leggy' - simply pinch out the growing tips and this wil ensure that the plants bush out. Bushy plants tend to have more fruit. Good luck.

I found these websites that you might find useful.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1645.html

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03mar17a.cfm

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/tomato1.html

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag295/html/tomato_key.htm

I have grown tomatoes both outdoors and indoors here in Scotland and very rarely get any kind of insct damage affecting the plants. Growing them indoors should ensure that no pests get at them.

9. The Lazy g

The Lazy g New Seed

ty

thanks alot there growing on a pretty sunny porch in the back of my house i mean i can tell the plant are only getting light form one direction.. but i live in a rain forest and i think the rain would kill my plants if i put the in direct sun in my back yard.. it rains hard every day here