Look what I bought today!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by daisybeans, Jun 2, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I stopped by the nursery on my way home to see if they could ID a tree I saw near my work (they could not so it is posted in the Trees forum for your help, please :stew2: ).

I bought 11 plants for $20!! Everything was on sale. Some are in need of a little TLC and since they're spring bloomers I'll have to wait to see how they look.

[​IMG]
    Bargain plants ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

They are: (Back row) a Strawberry, 2 Columbine (and also an Echinacea that I bought yesterday), (Middle row): 2 more Columbine, a Stonecrop, (Next row): a Mystery, Cuban Oregano, Chocolate Mint, (Front): 2 Dianthus.

Here is a closer picture of the Mystery plant. I know I have seen it before but I can't place it. I would appreciate knowing what it is so I know where to plant it...

[​IMG]
    Mystery plant ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

This is the Cuban Oregano, which I had never seen before. It's pretty, I think. Does anyone know how it tastes or what to use it for?

[​IMG]
    Cuban Oregano ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

I am very pleased with my bargains and think I will have some surprises in the Spring when they bloom. Since the Columbine needs TLC, any recommendations?

Lastly, yesterday I was at another garden center inquiring about a stronger remedy for my poor rose's black spot... and of course wound up picking out a couple of plants... the Echinacea "Crazy Pink" shown above, a Hen and Chicks, and a pretty Siskiyou Pink Snowdrop.

[​IMG]
    snowdrops and hen and chicks ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

Now to put them somewhere!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Looks like you've done well in that nursery. Your spring border will look lovely next year. :)

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

WOWwwwwwwwwww, Daisy--eleven plants...hmmm, lemmie see, I think that officially qualifies as a ..."spree". ;)

There are soome good ones in there aren't there? The price was also right as well.
    I can't wait to see them in bloom.

The foliage of that "mystery Plant" vaguely resembles an Astrantia...I guess that the bloom will reveal the plants' identity.
    Anyway, way to go. You have a great selection there.

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Droopy -- after that whole conversation about aqualegia being columbine, I was excited to find these on the bargain table.

Sjoerd -- I hope it is astrantia -- that has a pretty flower. We'll see! Yes, it was an unexpected spree.

Advertisement
  6. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Good luck with your new babies. I like to haunt those bargain tables too.

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Daisybeans, have you tried Bayer all in one systematic rose care for the black spot. My roses get it horrible here in Louisiana, but the Bayer works great on them.

8. ACMPhoto

ACMPhoto Seedling

Yay! What a great deal! Can't wait to see how they do in your garden!

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hey if I'd been with you Daisy I doubt if a single plant would have been left on the shelves - especially at those great prices. :-D What a fabulous collection you managed to get.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You manage to get some great plant.What a spree you had.I'll be waiting to see all the blooms on them.

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great buys Daisybeans! I think I'm about due to have a shopping spree too! I hope I find good stuff :)

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Cajunbelle, thanks for the rose tip. I will look for the Bayer treatment. I sprayed the three of them with milk and it seems to have helped in two of the cases but the third is in terrible shape. I have something else to try, I can't recall the name but it's the next step in terms of the chemical content - still considered "organic" or whatever. I am considering prunign the third bush way way down as it has lost almost all of it's leaves anyway. I will post more about it in the Roses forum -- I could use some opinions once you see th photos. Anyway, I got off track!

I hope you ALL find some neat goodies on the bargain table! I am giggling thinking about what it would be like if we were all at the table together -- wouldn't it be fun and funny?! It will be fun to see what they look like in the Spring. :stew2:

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I want to go shopping with you! I have a very hard time passing up plants of any kind, especially sale plants! ;)

Don't you think if they reduced the prices in the first place they wouldn't have so many to get rid of?