Looking for a evergreen type vine. Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Mrs. Galeassi, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Hi, so I planted Morning Glories to grow up the trellis on the sides of my patio to kinda give it privacy along with look nice. But that didn't work out so well. They grew well at first but I over planted for my pots then they have had other issues as well. They never filled out like I wanted, plus I didn't consider that they are annuals. So I'm going to let them run there course, but in the mean time id like to find a replacement vine to grow up the trellis's in a more permenant state. Like a perrineal evergreen type vine that would grow well in heat and can have afternoon sun, morning shade. Flowers or not doesn't matter, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Loading...

3. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

To separate the bit of the garden which my dogs have access to and the rest of the garden I have a wire mesh fence that has 1 summer flowering and 1 winter flowering Clematis sprawling up it. I used to cut it back regularly but haven't done so for a while now and I have all year round greenery.

I haveClematis macropetala Markhams pink and Clematis Cirrhosa Freckles

[​IMG]
    Clematis macropetala Markham's Pink ( photo / image / picture from Kiasmum's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Clematis Cirrhosa Freckles ( photo / image / picture from Kiasmum's Garden )

Frank and Mrs. Galeassi like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Take a look under Evergreen Honeysuckle too or if you don't mind the vine not flowering English Ivy might be a possibilty.

Mrs. Galeassi likes this.
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

There's also a variety of Jasmines. I have the Confederate Star that is evergreen and not overly aggressive and it puts on little white flowers (but they aren't very heavily scented). There are pink jasmines that have a lovely fragrance.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

7. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been reading up on some of them and I like all of them. Now I'm going to kinda do a process of elimination. See what they sell locally from your suggestions and so forth.

Eileen you are so awesome I just rescued a Hedra Helix for 10 cents a few weeks ago and its doing well. This might be the one, my only concern is will it do well outdoors in the heat and afternoon sun? I've had it on my desk where it gets sun all day from both windows but the light is filtered and my house is never warmer then 78 degree's f. If you know please share cause this might work and I already have it. :)

I will stop at lowes and see if they carry any of your suggestions. Maybe I can do something different on each side, the right side gets more sun, well the sun hits it from behind earlier then the left gets only front sun no sun from behind.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi again,

This information should help you decide whether you want to plant your English Ivy in the garden or not. Mine has withstood very cold temperatures (-20C) in winter and up to 22C in summer, gale force winds and being covered in up to 5 feet of snow.
    I would wear gloves if you're handling this plant.

Info here:
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1637/#b

9. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Eileen thank you for the info. I'm so spontanious I surprise myself. I read your post and went outside and pulled the morning glories on the one side that gets a bit more shade and less little people will go near it there. Wow never knew it was poisonous, I will have to be more cautious with my plants. I have little people and pets.