Lots of tree questions.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Jun 6, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have a huge fir tree in my backyard right next to the patio. It was trimmed about 6 feet off the ground when we bought the house. I have been trying to make a shade garden under it. I have lost so many plants due to the tree roots, not only taking up most of the water, the roots also invade the roots of the plants. Some small plants are fine such as Lamium and Bergenia seems to do fine. I have read somewhere that you can buy a pot(with drainage holes) just bigger than the pot your plant is in and bury it to the rim then slide the potted plant inside to keep the tree roots away from the inner pot. Do you think it would work? If so would it eliminate the insulation soil provides in our cold winters? Or would I need to pull the plant out and put it in a protected area? Last question, would removing that many roots of the tree injure it in the long run?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Removing surface roots can disrupt the moisture supply to the tree. Just as bad is covering the surface roots with soil, that cuts off the oxygen supply to the tree.

The balance between the top of the tree and the roots creates healthy trees. It puts out as many roots as it needs to live and thrive. A root lost for whatever reason creates stress on the tree, which makes it more susceptible to disease and if it not given extra care while the roots can fully regenerate the tree will decline.

Why not place small benches, tables, ladders, anything out there to put potted plants on to keep from damaging the tree roots . Depending on the plant, the pots will have to be taken indoors for the winter but then so will the plants in the double pots.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    2ofus likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni has a wonderful idea with putting potted plants on stands to create a layered garden. You could have a lot of fun finding objects (or as Toni would put it, "junque") to set potted plants on and create a very interesting garden nook.
    Your tree would appreciate keeping its roots, your plants could cascade or climb, and you'd have a unique garden area.

2ofus likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Well so far there's some Heuchera, Astilbe, old fashioned bleeding heart, Lady's Mantle, and one hosta, that seem to be holding their own (sort of). Lamium, Bergenia, and Jacobs Ladder seem to be thriving. I think I'll leave everything as is and see what makes it. If nothing else the Lamium is spreading so maybe I will have something besides bark. Thank you for your suggestions. I like the idea of some unique tree roots and hollow logs to sit my critters on and set flower pots on.