Love the Stew!

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by SunflowerOcity, May 16, 2007.

1. SunflowerOcity

SunflowerOcity New Seed

My name is Dr. Christopher J. Kline, but I like to go by Chris. I am a self professed sunflower freak and master gardener. Where I am partial to sunflowers I grow almost all the produce my family eats and next to sunflowers I am particularly fond of my tomatoes. I live on a hill side desert lot so much of my gardening is in containers, but I do have a good sized greenhouse and a few other plots. I am excited about participating in this forum and really like what I see.

Chris

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Welcome Chris [​IMG] it's a really fun and friendly group,
    it's great to have you with us. :-D
    Growing most of your own produce is something to be very proud of, indeed. :smt023

4. SunflowerOcity

SunflowerOcity New Seed

The Juece Circle

Thanks,

I started growing more produce when I started drinking fresh veggie juice. It's sort of a circle of life in my house. I juice veggies and fruit and then I put the remains in the freezer to kill pest eggs Then it goes into my worm farm or compost bin. The worms process the remains into worm castings for the garden and I add brown leaves to what I put into the compost bin and it makes great compost that I recycle into the garden. The garden then rewards me with healthy organic stuff to eat and juice.

Chris
    8)

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome Chris to our fine bunch of folk at GardenStew :D Lots to see and do so jump right on in. Maybe you can become our resident sunflower expert? ;)

// Frank

Advertisement
  6. SunflowerOcity

SunflowerOcity New Seed

Sunflowers

Thanks Frank!

I will try to do the sunflowers proud. I see that you have posted a great article on using lady bugs in the garden. I have some great information on recipes for organic pest control that I will post as well.

Chris

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Chris!! :D It's lovely to have another organic gardener on the forums and I look forward to your pest control remedies. I've posted some useful organic gardening tips in my blog if you'd like to have a look at them.

WELCOME to GardenStew!!

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Chris :wave:
    Welcome to the stew from southern Ontario!
    I look forward to your pest control remedies too!

9. SunflowerOcity

SunflowerOcity New Seed

Plants from Holland!

Wow Eileen!
    I loved looking at the pictures on your blog. I have not been to Holland, but now I need to make it a point to get there. I ran across two interesting venders who ship beautiful guaranteed garden plants direct from Holland at good prices. Dutch Gardens and Brecks
    Chris

10. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Greetings from West Tennessee. I try to grow every new sunflower variety that comes along. I just love them. I grow veggies also but flowers are my first love. I've ordered from Dutch Gardens and would recommend them. Welcome. 8)

11. SunflowerOcity

SunflowerOcity New Seed

Good Seeds

Hi Bethie,

Dutch farms has a couple nice perennial varieties of sunflower. It seems that most people stick to only the annual varieties which is unfortunate. Do you have a favorite variety and/or seed source?

Chris

12. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Welcome Chris from Michigan. Glad you have joined us. Most of the sunflowers we grow are under the birdfeeders - volunteer sunflowers. THis year I have purchased some different seeds to try - can't remember the varieties but must get them planted soon.

13. SunflowerOcity

SunflowerOcity New Seed

Sunflower Planting

Good for you! I'm sure you will be hooked as soon as you start to grow some of the many interesting varieties other than the black oil bird seeds that have been sprouting. Best of all they will make great natural bird feeders. I am going to post an article with helpful information about selecting and growing sunflowers. I hope you get a chance to take a look.
    Chris