Lucky me.........

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by luvdirtyhands1, Apr 4, 2012.

1. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I was shocked & saddened to see that they were tearing down a really beautiful old Victorian down the street from me. One day it was there & yesterday morning it was in a big pile of rubble. The workmen had all the beautiful stained glass doors & windows put aside & I knew I couldn't afford them & that they wouldn't "go" in my 1950's split ranch, but I did pull over & ask if they were leaving the plants & garden. Guy said "no", they were leveling the whole lot. So I asked if I could dig some plants & they said "sure. Take whatever you want, tomorrow morning". The previous owners were real gardeners & there are just all kinds of mature plantings! Can't wait to get over there & dig in this morning!

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

How fortunate (for the plants to find a new home and a caring gardener)! I hope you get lots of goodies. Please let us know what your "haul" is when you get rested up from all that digging.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I wish we lived near to each other as I'd give you a hand to dig all those plants out. I wouldn't expect payment (well maybe a few of the plants ;) ) as rescuing living things and saving them from destruction can only be a good thing. Good luck and do show us what you manage to get out of the garden won't you?

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I would jumped at that opportunity also! Looking forward to hearing what all you got.

5. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

You have no idea how much I wish that those of you who'd help me dig & share the plants lived nearby. I had 18 stitches on arm to remove a skin cancer, just 6 days ago; stitches aren't even removed yet.... boy, could I use the help. Not passing it up, though. I'll use left hand as much as I can & i'm going to butter-up the workmen there by bringing a 6-pack of beer & a few other non-alchoholic drinks.... so maybe some nice guy will at least help me dig out the really big, mature plants. Haven't dug yet.... went down this a.m. & the foreman said they wanted to get the heavy equipment out first, that he'd be there after 3:00 this afternoon & I could dig to my heart's content. Will let you all know what goodies I came home with.