Lunaria/Moneyplant/Honesty

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by SongofJoy57, Apr 19, 2008.

1. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

[​IMG]
    Is a plant that is native first to Germany, and from there made its' way to England in the 1500s according to research. The Puritans brought them via seed to America.

Moneyplant is a biennial.
    It grows leaves during the first year, and they are visable all winter.
    [​IMG]
    The second year they flower. As you can see, mine have bloomed. This is the best year that I have had with them, and I just allowed them to self sow.
    [​IMG]
    After the blooming season, these plants will make flat little seedpods which are green at first.
    [​IMG]

Later they will become transparent (similar to wax paper). They usually contain three to four seeds inside this transparent pod. I will document with more pictures once this happens. The sun beaming down on them causes them to shine like "silver dollars" (which is another name that they are called by.) They are also known as Judas' penny, honesty, moneyplant, and moonwart. The grands are very intrigued by their seedpods.

The seedpods are very pretty, and can be used for dried arrangements. One year I did this with blackberry lily stalks once they went to seed, and had a pretty arrangement to use all winter long.

Because they flower and bloom every other year, I am planning to save some seeds this year instead of allowing them all to self sow as I did last year. Then I will be assured to have flowers every year.

2. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That is a marvelous plant.The bloom color is fantastic.

3. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I just got some seeds for this in a trade. I didnt know they were biennial. Glad I do now or I would have been wondering where the flowers were!

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It's an easy plant to grow too, and I think it's ideal for children's gardens. The first time I grew it we had to harvest the stalks when the green was still on it due to weather conditions. My, did we have a hard time cleaning the dried outer layer off to bring out those Judas' pennies inside!

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love honesty and really must get around to planting some again. :stew1:

6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Those are very pretty. I used to have all kinds of them when I lived more downstate. I brought up seed with me here but never started them. Hmm, Its been 3-4 years but maybe I'll see if they'll still start up using that baggy method. Another way of using them is to let them dry out and put them in a flower arrangement in a vase. It'll turn out really nice looking.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

These turned out good didn't they, SOJ? I am always happy when one blows-into the garden. The idea of letting them stay where ever they pop-up appeals to me alot.
    We call them the same as you, Droopy.

8. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

You should plant them in late August or Sept for blooms next spring. And make sure you collect most of the seeds when they are dry. Each plant puts out ALOT of seeds.

9. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Yup, they seed around my garden, and most of the gardens in our neighbourhood but they are so lovely and I do adore the seed pods, or sleeves as I like to think of them.

10. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I was given a packet of moneyplant seeds, I'd forgotten they have such nice flowers! (I only plant purple or yellow flowers, so it's good to see the color!)