Lush green plant, What is it and how to propagate it?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by KK Ng, Jul 16, 2010.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

English Ivy, I believe that is the correct name for this plant because the person who gave it to me told me is English Ivy. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[​IMG]
    English Ivy ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    English Ivy ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

I planted it more than 2 years ago and when I got it it was already growing in a pot with roots. I am trying to grow them all along my wall fence but with no success.

I cut a healthy branch and planted it in a pot with no success. I tried using rooting chemicals on the cutting before planting in a pot too. Then I cut another healthy branch and soak it in hydrophonic growing media with no success either. Finally I planted the cutting directly into the ground after soaking it in the hydrophonic media for a night and coated the cut area with rooting chemical just before planting ...... no luck either :'(

[​IMG]
    Dried up English Ivy ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. waretrop
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. waretrop
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep, unfortunately that is not Hedera helix (Common Ivy, English Ivy)

I don't know what it is but you might try pinning a stem down to a pot of dirt. Leave it attached to the mother plant and see if it will root. When it has good roots, then cut it from the mother plant and transplant after it is well established in the pot.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Look up English laurel. I think that is what it might be. Tip cuttings and layering work well if kept shaded and moist until roots form. Good luck.

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Oh mine!!! :oops: I have been telling people that they are English Ivy ..... how embrassing, luckily none of them know what is English Ivy :D .

Thanks Thebip for setting things right. :)

Gfreiherr thanks for the link but I already tried that without knowing that it is not English Ivy .... any idea what kind of plant is that :?:

Yes Toni it is not English Ivy. That is a great suggestion, I'll give it a try ...err any idea what plant is that??

Jewell, they are not English laurel, thanks for the info.

Anyone have any idea what plant it is???

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

KK, I just retitled your topic and moved it the the Plant ID forum. Better chance of getting an ID if members don't already think it's an English Ivy.

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks for moving it Toni, really appreciate it. :-D

8. Jewell

KK, I am vacationing in Florida and think I saw your plant. It is maybe a creeping ficus. The leaves start out small. An older plant gets larger leaves. I will post a photo when I get home. This plant is used as a house plant where I am from, and I had only read about the larger leaves. I believe it is called ficus pumila but don't quote me. It has the green variety and a variegated form.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Jewell, can't wait to see the photos :)

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi KK-- You have some good advice on here already, so I will just add my 2 cents' worth:

--When propagating a climber like this, I would look for and select a young, soft new length of growth (not one with tough, brown bark on it) that has 4-5 leaf sets on it.

--Remove all but the last 1-2 leaf sets (This cuts down on moisture loss via the leaves of the cutting as it tries to form roots).

--Dust the end with of the cutting with rooting hormone powder.

--Insert the coated cutting into a smallish plastic pot right up against the edge (you can get 4-5 cuttings in one pot).

--Give water (not directly from the tap) from the bottom (so that you do not wash-away the rooting hormone powder) and cover the plant with a celephane bag and set aside (out of direct sunlight). You will need to set the pot in some kind of deepish receptical so that you can keep enough water for the soil to soak-up.

--You may have roots within six weeks or so. Once the root ball has developed a bit you can plant it out.

You do not have to use the rooting hormone powder if you cannot get hold of any, but it may work faster.

The layering method that Jewell was speaking of ought to work well for you as too:

--Choose a long branch near the ground. Look to see if you can see little groups of roots along the branch (where it would normally attach itself to the wall. This is what you can plant in the ground.

--Use your trowel and scoop out a shallow trench about 16 cm long and perhaps 6 cm deep and water this in VERY thoroughly.

--Place a section of branch in this shallow little trench and cover it with the dirt that you dug out, and re-water again thoroughly.

--Place a brick on top of it (or something heavy...or use some sort of pins to hold it down). This will hold in down and also keep the moisture around the segment of branch.

--Roots may form within a few weeks, but do not dig it up to be transplanted immediately.
    Once you know that there are roots there and new growth has started, you can cut the branch, effectively separating it from the "mother plant".
    Leave it in it's place another week or two then transplant it to it's new place. You may then need to water it regularly for a 2-3 weeks until it has taken hold in it's new place.

I suspect that this climbing plant (which does not look like ivy to me) may root easily when layering.

Well, my two cents' worth turned out to be more like 3.22 Ringgits and change. hahaha. Sorry.

Hope this helps, though.

11. Jewell

Here is the photo. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Sojerd thanks for the very detail instructions. I had started on the layering method that Toni and Jewell suggested and keeping my fingers crossed now. Your 2 cents is totally much more than 3.22 Ringgit, it's invaluable :)

Jewell you are such a dear :smt059 , the photo is excatly what I have on my walls :setf_016: , yes it is definately ficus pumila. Thanks a million. I have started layering on a couple of low lying branches and I am sure I can get my whole wall covered in no time. Thanks again and have a great vacation :-D

13. Jewell

Glad you solved the mystery. I had never seen a plant with mature leaves before. I really like these as house plants. They certainly make a lush backdrop. Enjoy.