MAD MAD MAD!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by DMJ24, Jun 8, 2011.

1. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

I custom covered my3 yr old blueberry bush with anticipation of enough blueberries this year to make at least a pie.
    Monday I witnessed a bird flying out from under the netting! It ate ALL, ALLLLLLL my blueberries !!!!!

I suppose now my CAR will a target. Some kinda thank you!

cindjo717 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know just how you feel. I have to fight the birds for my blackcurrants every year. No matter what I do they always seem to get there before me. :(

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh what a bummer!

We put out rubber snakes when the birds become a problem, then move them every day or so.

If you have room, a mulberry tree works great as a lure to keep them away from your coveted crop, what ever it may be. we had one for a long time just for that. I would recommend a white one though, otherwise your car will be a purple target no matter where you park it.

Cats also make great garden helpers, We have 4 and I only allow them because they earn their keep, otherwise the litterbox in the garage would not be bearable to me, no matter how often it gets cleaned. We have daily presents deposited in the garage for proof. :D I don't like to see them get the birds, but I think they deter a100x more than they catch.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Ouch! I know the feeling. We've got redcurrants aplenty but the birds prefer our blueberries and strawberries. We've also got two cats, so at least we get to keep most of our berries.

Advertisement
  6. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Yes I know the feeling....we had the best crop of black muscat grapes here on the coast and I even bagged them with exclusion bags, sat back smuggly and thought that I had beaten the thieves.Early one morning I watched a large black crow grab several grapes...bag and all and just sucked the juice throught the mesh bag just leaving the skin.
    Now I use the bags for tomatoes to protect from fruitfly and buy our grapes from the fruit shop!

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That's awful! You must be heart-broken. When we were getting our blackberries, the question came up about how to keep the birds from eating them all. The guy told us, you can't. Just make sure you plant enough for the you AND them! :-D

8. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

When I had a dog moving around the yard I never had problems with the birds and beasts. My darlin' died 3 years ago. and I think the wildlife have gotten cocky

9. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

A Parson Russell terrier will do wonders for your garden. Just make sure to keep the little terrorist out of the garden proper! They do love to dig.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh...what terrible news.

I am going to have trouble this year as well, as the tiny blue tits have discovered that their small bodies will fit through the chicken wire holes of the cage. I shall have to re-wire it in a few weeks.

I feel for you.

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

OOOh no, how awful! I, like my fellow gardeners here, have had similar experiences.

Especially my strawberries. Last year I managed to save two, this year just ONE :eek:

DMJ24, I could just SMELL that pie :(
    I hope your car is not in too much a state.

12. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Oh come oooon!
    Aren't birds cute? Don't they need to feed themselves? When they eat all the flies, bugs, caterpillars, mosquitoes they are GREAT. Once they touch our fruits they are BAD! BAD! BAD!
    They also need a balance diet. Some fruit after all that meat!

We also have a big cherry tree full of nice red cherries but not that sweet yet. I wonder if I will join you all in the grief soon!

:)

cherylad likes this.
  13. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

I love the BIRDS. So fun to watch and feed. BUT It has been a quest of mine to be ""grocery store free from buying""blueberries.
    On the finer note, Aldi's has had the pint of blueberries for $1.50. So I bought 2. Aldi's is the best grocery store in the world! No brand names but awesome quality. Guaranteed by them or they will reimburse you (double, i think) with no questions asked.
    Their fruit & veggies is so well priced.
    Even their bird seed. I guess I will buy some next season and try to bribe them to leave my Blueberries alone.