March 17 ...8 degrees!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Mar 17, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am just so tired of this weather....we got up to 8 ... EIGHT... degrees this morning. The forecast was 19 overnight. I am glad I had the electric heater going in the greenhouse that I just planted my tomatoes in. Otherwise I would be in big trouble. I have been growing them since Jan. I just want my global warming to start any day.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I am not going to read anymore posts from Carolyn till it warms up in Ohio. My screen is frosting up and the words have ice on them. The only reason my computer did not freeze was she mentioned the warm greenhouse. The groundhog has everything warming up on Thursday. The little rodent had better be right :scheming: Is your greenhouse alarmed Carolyn?

Jerry

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Rich is starting to grumble about heating the greenhouse. And I'm feeling bad about what it's costing. It's beginning to take the fun out of growing my own.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Amazingly we have temperatures of 10 degrees here today. If the wind wasn't so strong it might well be quite pleasant outside.
    I hope your weather heats up soon for you Carolyn. :fingerscrossed:

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've said it before, and I'll say it again--living in the north isn't for the faint of heart! I can't believe how strong y'all are. My fingers are crossed for a quick warm-up up there (which means it will be warmer here, too, so my hopes are somewhat self-serving. :) )

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I feel for you Carolyn ... it was -24°C here this morning...that's -11.2°F! I think I am going to lose my mind if spring doesn't get here soon!!!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well C...I just don't know what to say anymore. You (and Netty) are just having the worst sort of luck this year with the "spring" weather.
    If the trend keeps on keeping on, then you will have no spring, the winter will simply flip-flop right on into summer...that'll be a shocker as well, but I reckon at this stage, you'd settle for that, eh?

I hope that it will thaw there soon.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, I should have an alarm...and after this I may just have to do that. My house was below 40 when I was out there. That is too cold! I don't blame you for not wanting to read any more. We are about frozen too.

Donna, I totally understand. At some point the $$$ exceeds the joy. Hopefully it will get better soon. I couldn't do this if I wasn't selling this stuff. Just not a "hobby" for me. I can't afford to do something that actually costs us money. We just don't have the disposable cash to do that.
    Thanks, Eileen..we hope it warms up too.

Jane...it's all I know. I will probably stay here to the day I die, too. My Grams said that about getting old, too.

Netty, I hope it warms up there, too. we are getting tired of the cold.

S, I am not holding my breath. I really am waiting on that global warming to start... Right now it is like the arctic tundra. Thanks for any "warm" thoughts you can send this direction. We would all appreciate them. I am so glad for my greenhouses, which is where I am off to as soon as I ma done with this pots....bye.

Have a great day all!.

10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We are at 20 but bitter cold. I am quite miserable with these cold temps now and just waiting for 35 to stay here for a while.

11. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I woke to a balmy 20 degrees this morning, and the weather station said it was falling... Sure, it gets colder as the day wears on... great.
    Now, it is up to 27... yeah. Thanks to the sunrise, the temperature has gone up a whopping 7 degrees.

That poor groundhog.
    I don't bother going by what it says. It has been so tormented for so many years, how can we expect an accurate reading anymore? I watch for the robins. They are here. I do expect a warming trend... eventually.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, I can say the day warmed up quite nicely. Barb, you should have a beautiful one tomorrow. Enjoy it.

13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I sound like negative Nelly. I also can't stand anymore of this freezing cold weather. The frost here is at least 7ft into the ground. :eek: As I have said; it will be July before the frost is out of the ground and one can plant anything. In the past 9 yrs our barn water has never frozen up. But not this year. Just 2 wks ago my hubby started hauling water for our 2 goats. Please God no broken pipes, or a backhoe will have to be brought in to get down to the water lines. :eek: We would have someone come out and put an electrical charge on the metal pump line to heat it up and unthaw it. But down in the ground it changes over to plastic where the pump pipe meets the water pipe. Oh well. Only time will tell. :rolleyes:

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tooty, I hope for you it gets better soon, too. The frost hydrants are freezing up around here too. My sister and my dad are both hauling water for their horses. The neighbor called the other day for us to look at theirs...I assume it was frozen, too. Yesterday and today were a bit warmer, but the night time temps are all below freezing for the next couple weeks. I can't even plant peas yet. The ground is still frozen.

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It's a nicer day here today ... the sun is shining and we might even get over the freezing mark today! But I think its the calm before the storm ... winter storm tomorrow :(

16. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ah yes....it will all end soon though, right? Right?