Marigold Seed Scattered On The Ground

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by waretrop, Oct 19, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have never done much with annuals until this year. I was just wondering, since they seem to reseed easily, maybe I could take the seeds and sprinkle them exactly where I want them to grow this Fall and let them be in the ground all Winter???? Then I won't have to do anything with them in Spring.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Bosque
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That might work for you there Barb. I know that they wont over winter here in zone 5b. It's worth a try, maybe save a few seeds just in case :)

stratsmom likes this.
  4. waretrop

Oh yes I sure will save some seeds in case my idea fails. Thanks.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have a ton of zinnias this year and I didn't even plant them. They started to come up in a small bed where I had a few last year and they've spread everywhere in the back yard. I can't imagine how many will be out there next year.

dooley

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

Yes but dooley,we are much colder in the winter than you. That is what I was wondering about.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm zone 6A and depending on the winter, marigolds are a 50/50 type seed. Sometimes they come back in full force and sometimes they come back really sparse. I'm doing that very same thing with Sweet William seeds. I sprinkled a million right where I want them to grow (some are already popping up) and then saved some to sprinkle in the spring :-D Good Luck :p

8. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

I think it will work Barb! I always have volunteer marigolds in my garden and usually I dig them out and replant where I want them to be as per the new season's garden layout. I will also try your method this year. Thanks for the Idea!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds a good idea Ware, but I do not know what kind of winters you have, so I have no feel for what sort of success rate you might expect. I will say that here sometimes I get seedlings in the garden accidentally left from bloomers the preceding year...it is irregular, though.

Good luck with that project. I would like to see some pics of those places where you broadcast the seeds next year if they come up. Fingers crossed.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I even had petunias grow under my hanging baskets from the seeds that fell from them. I am in zone 4 and it all depends on the soil and our weather. They started growing in between rocks and it was so pretty...

stratsmom likes this.