Mary Fleming rhododendren!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by daisybeans, Jun 2, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Here is my new rhododendren -- the Mary Fleming rhodie! It has special significance for me because it is my first ever rhodie AND the name, Mary Fleming was my mom's name! When I saw it online, of course I had to buy it. I planted it in a special place and I think it will become a nice focal point there. When it blooms in the Spring the blossom will be creamy pink, and it is a dwarf rhodie, so it will get to be 4'x4'. I am still in the process of moving things around in that area but here she is!

[​IMG]
    Mary Fleming rhododendren. ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

By the way, I ordered it from a grower in New Jersey called Rare Plant Nursery (am I allowed to say that?) and they were wonderful to deal with, answered my million questions by phone and the plant arrived in perfect condition with secure packaging. They have a lot of neat things and a nice catalog too.

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

She is a nice plant and a good size to start with.I have never tried to grow Rhododendren before.I don't know how they would do in Texas.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Wow! Fleming was my family name on my father's side. There were a few Mary's in the family too. There is a family tree that traces them back to a port in Virginia, I think. They sailed from Manchester, England but I don't know how far they have traced from there. Maybe we are related once or twice removed or sixth or eighth cousins. My son calls sometimes and tells me we are related to someone and I ask him how and he says 6th cousin twice removed. I say, wonderful! dooley

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh how about that Dooley! Maybe we are related somehow. Fleming was my mom's father's name.. they came from Ireland (Co Mayo, I believe) and they settled originally in Elk Garden, West Virginia, because apparently the terrain there reminded them of home (rocky). I'm not sure I've ever known what port they arrived to. My mom's name was Mary Margaret Fleming. What a coincidence!

Thank you Glenda, I was very pleased with how she looks too. I hope she likes it in her new spot.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Please remember to post pictures of it in bloom Daisybeans

Glendann there is one that grows here....
    Rhododendron oblongifolium (Texas Azalea)

7. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

That's a healthy looking plant daisybeans, look forward to seeing a photo of it in bloom.
    Wouldn't it be great if you and dooley turned out to be related :)