matching different patterns

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by GG, Dec 16, 2008.

1. GG

GG New Seed

Hi all, I've decided to cover the wall behind my bed in fabric because I'm in an apartment and can't paint (plus I like textures), but I'm not sure of how to match patterns and colors.

My duvet cover is burgundy (-ish?) with thin vertical stripes. I've included an example below for your reference. My pillow cases and flat sheet are solid white and my fitted sheet and bed frame are solid black (my bed's a black metal futon). Besides that, I have dark cherry-stained furniture, a stainless steel floor lamp, and dark green carpet (it's not hunter green but rather has a very slight blue tint).

I'd appreciate any ideas on what patterns and colors would look good in the room. Thanks so much. I've seen some great ideas in this forum, so I'm excited about having all your help with my own apartment.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi GG, welcome to GardenStew. Is it possible to see an overall photo of your bedroom as seeing all of the colours could help?

Would a tapestry or patterned hanging be a good idea?

4. GG

GG New Seed

Hi Frank, thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately, I'm away for the holidays and will be for awhile. I'll take pictures when I get back in January. In the mean time, below is picture of my bedside table and the approximate color of my duvet cover. My dresser is similar but has 4-drawers.

The fabric would be directly against my bed (again: black, white, and striped burgundy), my bedside table, a stainless steel floor lamp, and (eventually) a white ceramic vase with a fake plant of some sort (alternatively, a tall plant stand of some sort with a live plant)

The tapestry idea is definitely interesting. I hadn't thought of it, but it addresses my concern about playing it too safe and not having that one or two thing(s) that pop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]