Meet Gord....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Melody Mc., Oct 2, 2024 at 6:33 PM.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

My new squash patch did very well this year, even though it's time on this earth was cut short by about a month due to a hard frost. I'm excited for next year.

They had to come into the hallway while I select and process those that will not keep.

squash.JPG

The hallway of squash.JPG

Meet Gord. He's my favourite. I could never grow Blue Hubbards before until I moved the squash bed up away from the creek valley and sheltered it in the trees a bit. The tissue box is for scale, and Gord weighed in at a bouncing 27 pounds. They can grow larger but for me that is a huge gourd.

Blue Hubbard.JPG

Banana squash for the first time. I'm eager to try these and see how they are.

This is Bud the Spud. ( with Crook Neck/Tromboncino in accompaniment)

Banana Squash .JPG

And his gourd mates. Four squash from the one plant is a good crop for my short season.

The Golden Hubbards were small but had a late start.

Banana Squash and Golden Hubbard.JPG

And my favourite so far are the Mashed Potato and Sweet Potato squash. With having a potato allergy, these squash were very exciting for me and did not disappoint. They are the best mashed potato substitute I've had so far.

Mashed Potato and Sweet Potato squash.JPG

The Spaghetti squash did alright considering the weather, As well as the Gold Nugget Buttercups to the right. Nothing really got to get going until the second week of June ( I still was getting light frosts) then it was very hot most of the summer, and then slammed into a hard killing frost the first week of September. It was an especially short season this year. The Tromboncino will be eaten green as they will not cure I believe. But they are tasty roasted with onions so that is a win.

I'm also new to a basket of Buttercup squash but they will sit for quite a while. They did not get enough sun or curing time so I will try to do that in a sunny window for a while.

These were so much fun to grow. :)

Oreti, Frank and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Mel all those pics represent a lot of dedication and planning for your veggie garden. I love all the spaghetti squash a fav for winter . Looking at all your tasty treats equals a lot of care for your successful bounty from your garden.

Nice to meet Gord. A 27 pound gourd is bigger than my cat. Looks like it would feed an army. And so many other varieties that knock my socks off. You have been very busy and I admire your many knowledgeable talented gardening skills. The gourds will definitely take first prize at our state fair. Spoken by a ‘Former judge’ .

Sorry you had a frost already. A bit early? Autumn weather has hit in my zone, all the leaves are turning colors. Will be a great show this year.

Tromboncino sounds like a band instrument. :snicker: I hope it does ripen up for you. And ‘Bud the Spud’ has a name.:smt042
    Luving all the smaller colorful and different shaped varieties. Smaller types are always a good variety for Holloween. And lots of special flavors. Kudos… :sete_013::smt038 :smt023

Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Wowser @Melody Mc. ...what a terrific harvest...a..m..a..z..i..n..g!!

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well done Mel !
    What beauties you grew. Pity about the gourd season coming to an abrupt halt. Still, like you said— next year holds promise for you. Most of what you are showing I have never heard of. For that reason, I look with great interest at what you are doing. You have grown such a good variety if things. Chapeau madame.

Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.