Metamorphosis

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

January of last year, we took possession of the second, or what we call the "New Garden". It is strictly for veg...a 'production garden', so to speak.
    It was delivered clean and later on in the spring we got some compost to spread over it. The first pic was taken at a stopping point in the spreading.
    [​IMG]
    Next, after working it all in we cpould slowly begin to mentally divide the plot into thirds and start getting to the task of setting it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Slowly but surely things start to happen. The potatoes are in,and some are coming up.
    [​IMG]
    Down at the northern end you can see the changes that took place with the crops there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those roasting eaqrs are getting ready to harvest.
    [​IMG]
    The end of the season always comes...it's a bit sad, but we had a great harvest from all the different things, with a couple of exceptions.
    [​IMG]
    The final clean-up has begun.
    [​IMG]
    The "green manure" was grown, pulled-up and left to decompose on the surface of where the spuds were grown. We start preparing the plots for next season in this way.
    [​IMG]

The first year was a very busy and tough year and the course because the working of the ground required many back breaking hours of attention to clear the underground roots, bulbs etc. as best we could. It was also necessary to see how the soil of the plot was.
    We noticed that the topsoil was of varying depths and as a result some root crops (like parsnips and carrots) rotted where the water table was too close to the surface. The positive aspect of this was that things like corn and runner beans (which require lots of water) did exceptionally well. So we learned. We will keep the other plot as well (the one that is half flower garden - half veggie garden).

Well, for those of you not familiar with the "allotment concept" that we have here, this shows how it works.

2. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Looks like some beautiful,loose soil. I envy the size of your "production" garden. What do you use for your green manure crop? I use annual rye here. We've got very sandy soil with few nutrients, and it's taken 10 years to get soil good enough to grow vegetables in. My asparagus should be ready to harvest this year, and I can't wait (up until now, I've had to scour the roadsides for the wild stuff!).

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

It looks like you did rather well Sjoerd, very good looking crop you had there. I can relate to all the work in getting those nasty roots out..

I was wondering tho, since the root veggies didn't do so well there, will you transfer them to the other allotment an maybe stay with above ground veggies in this plot. or is the water level too high in both plots...

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KASEYLIB: It is excellent soil..it's what we call veengrond, I don't know if "feen" is a type of ground known there, but it is a very good sort for the type of growing that I do.
    I used yellow lupin, phacelia and borrage this year as green manures.
    I hope that your asparagus turns out really fine. It'll function for 12 years or so, I expect...if all goes well.

BIITA: Yeah, those roots were murder. There were several different kinds. BAH!
    We had capucijners, broadbeans, three different types of taters, strawbs, courgettes, runner beans, broccoli and calabrese, carrots, pastinaak, corn, perpetual spinach and Swiss chard.
    Yes we will grow the penetrating root crops back over in the old garden again next year.
    We have a saying here (translated): A donkey generally doesn't stub his hoof twice on the same stone. ;) :-D
    We will have to be careful with the taters though, for there is no room for them on the other garden.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

An amazing transformation through the seasons. I thought you said "strictly veggie" but I think I spot just a few flowers in between? ;)

6. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I am truly in awe

What a great production garden. :stew1:

Tell me Sjoerd - those Marigolds - do you use them as the green manure?
    DO they also help in keeping pests at bay?
    DO you even have a problem with pests such as nematodes, or even ants?
    Talk about metamorphosis! - I am envious.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Droopy and Palm Tree:
    Yes those are marigolds there--I planted them there to keep the aphids away from the things in that corner. When they are totally dead, I will work the remains into the soil as a green manure.
    Well, I didn't have any aphids there, but the blight took every tom plant that I had planted there by the corn. There were eight of them.
    I don't have much of a problem with nematodes and ants, although in the other garden there are ant colonies in a couple of places. They like my compost bin until it begins to heat-up. chuckle.

8. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Your food garden looks great. I love the bright marigolds. The hard work is So worth it, isn't it? :stew2: :stew1:

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Bethie...don't you know it! heh heh.
    Thanks for the compliment. :)

10. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Sjoerd,

Just wondering, do you till all by hand? Impossible to plow like us farmers do.
    But I do understand the allotment programs there.
    Your soil should be great stuff from the seas.. Fishy ............
    I know mine is different.
    We first plow with the tractor and plow, then harrow.
    Then we get the rototiller on it .......
    This is after it has cow poo, fertilizer and lime.

Larger the plot, harder to work and no pay..LOL :oops:

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha ha ha...yes all by hand.
    But we don't turn it in the traditional way, we sort of rotate it sideways, not turn it upside down--- because that disturbs the layers of sub-terrestrial microbe colonies.
    I wrote a little something on it on my website. It's something to think about. ;)

Well B, you say "no pay", but I see the harvest as pay -in a manner of speaking, also the pleasure of doing the work. It isn't too bad. hahaha .Is that crazy 'er wot!

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Your so amusing....

No your doing it correct.....When we plow with a tractor an plow it throws the dirt side ways.. YOur correct.....

I assume your deep soil is sea soil, and has to be let as is.. Here it is hard and deeper helps us.

Your correct in everything. I was back reading your website and photos......
    However I only meant we till the soil the hard way. Yes we love the job or wouldn't do it ..Love it more since I got my flower friends and bed..;o)
    Cheerios.....

b

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love looking at series of transformation pictures like yours. Lots of hard work but such a reward at the end of the growing season.

I have a front yard that needs to be remade, want to come take care of that for me????

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

That's a good idea........Sjoerd to loan.. :D

Past it around......

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We'll make a list and get him to fly around visiting everybody as the season changes. :D Poor man.