Mislabled Hosta from last fall, new photo, still searching

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The leaves are variegated, bright green with yellow and it looks like the older leaves are solid dark green and one of them has a bud getting ready to open. Yea!!
    It was labled Hosta 'Krossa Regal' But I bought one of those that was correctly labeled and doesn't look like these at all.

[​IMG]
    Which Hosta? ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your lovely hosta, Toni. It looks very pretty. :D

Are the leaves rather thick? I wonder what colour the flower will be. Are the leaves smooth or are they puckered?

I thought since it's changing into such very dark leaves it would be easy to find but I spent a good hour trying to ID it yesterday evening with no positive luck.

The colour and variegation might change when you plant it outside. If this is a green-house grown plant anything might happen. You might get a white center, or it might turn greener with the outside light. As for size, you probably won't know until it's lived with you for two-three years.

It definately is not Krossa Regal, and I don't think it's the "Albopicta" either. The leaf shape and variegation is all wrong.

There are so many similar-looking hostas, and I get lost when I try to ID them. And lots of new ones come on the market every year.

5. toni

I did some searching yesterday too and you are right Droopy, it is very confusing trying to ID a Hosta. It seems like the breeders have gone crazy over creating new varieties.

The leaves are the same thickness as the Krossa Regal with the same type of lengthwise pronounced ridges.

There is a label on the pot with the name and address of the wholesaler, they don't have a website or email but I think I might print out a copy of the picture and mail it to them...at least let them know that the plant is mislabeled.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

You know the hosta-madness has gone too far when you have a hosta in each hand and can't tell the difference without looking at the label. :rolleyes: That happened to me this summer. Also, the same hosta might have a different name in the US and in Europe.

7. toni

This Hosta never got to fully bloom, the first frost of the season happened not long after I first posted it's photo. Over the winter all the Hostas died back and sat there.
    This spring the 'Halcyon' and 'Krossa Regal' started coming back in March but two pots just sat there until a couple of weeks ago. I had totally forgotten there were Hostas in them since they were never IDed.

This year they look different from last year. The green is darker and shinier....I think :shrug:

[​IMG]
    Still unknown ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I have been going thru the plants on the Hosta database site that Netty posted and I found another site with hundreds of Hostas http://www.pineforestgardens.com/catalog/
    and have been slogging my way thru it with no luck.

I am beginning to think that if no name can be found for it, I will crown it "Ha! Stumped you!" and just enjoy it. Wonder what color the bloom will be?

8. Droopy

:D Hello, Stumped You, nice to see you.

Sorry, toni, but those green with white center are the worst to identify, along with the green with yellow edges. Still, it's lovely. The green is darker and shinier, and the white is white, not creamy greenish. Besides, the small leaves are also variegated now. The old photo shows them green. It won't be impossible to find a match for it, but the problem is you mightn't be right since there are several that looks nearly the same. Good luck anyway.