miss wilmotts ghost?!?!? help with seeds

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by lukeypukey, Feb 22, 2011.

1. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

hi everyone! im having problems getting my eryingium 'miss wilmotts ghost' started. just put my 2nd or 3rd attempt in the fridge for a few weeks as they've failed to germinate again. anyone had any success with wilmotts??? i've heard the story of why their called miss wilmotts ghost, but i dont believe it!!! their called that because you never actually see one!! :-?

2. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

i'll make sure i post my seed queries in the seed forum in future guys. just spotted it. sorry. :-D

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just moved this topic to the Seed Starting forum for you ;)

I am not familiar with the plant but you have peaked my curiosity now so I will have to check it out.

4. Annette

Annette Seedling

are those 'sea holly' seeds? (never heard them called miss willmott's) i have quite a few in my yard...never started them from seed though..bought them as bare root plants and they proceeded to seed all over the place...had to move a bunch last summer. good luck with them...

Advertisement
  5. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

yeah its a variety of sea holly. the genus and species is eryngium gigantum. apparently there really problematic to get going. i bought a different variety (eryngium alpinum) to see how they faired and had no problems whatsoever. i'll see how they do when they come out of the fridge, but you'll probably hear from me again on this one :-D

6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I think you have to "fool" the seeds into thinking the days are getting warmer by varying the temperature and then planting them in full sun.

Jerry