Mix snow and high winds together you get

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Jan 12, 2012.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Five foot drifts in short time.and didn't get that much snow.

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So are you having a blizzard??? Is there blowing snow?????

I looked and you are having severe weather warnings. Your chill factor is -1. Up to 30 mph winds and chill factors tonight at -15.

Get the generator ready and light the fireplace or pellet stove.....and hang on.

Keep us posted.

Barb in Pa.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

This is not good. The weather map has this big blue(snow) area leaving Iowa and heading this way. I guess this means that I have to swap the lawnmower and snowblower in the tool shed. I was hoping to use the lawnmower next. But it does not work well on snow. :-( Still, the weather forecasters have rain/snow showers for next Tues. and Wed. There is still time for optimism.

Jerry

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I remember the snow drifts in upstate New York. The only thing good about them was that when the snow drifted, it left bare patches that it had drifted from. The bad thing was that the bare patches were rarely where you wanted them (in the driveway, on the sidewalk, or so you could get out the back door).

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Jerry even had to get roof rake out. Was big drift on roof right by door. We only got 5 inches here. But winds-glad Jerry put up snow fence. Glad winds have quit. Snow plow just came down road. Being last house on dead-end road. He pulls in and plows the end of our driveway out. Pays to call them up and say what good job job he does to boss :D

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Please stay safe and warm! Blizzards are no joke. We've got closed roads all over the area due to snow and high winds. The drifts get big in no time and the avalanche danger is big too.

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The storm is going northeast, fine by me. Lots of wind though.

Jerry

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Said might get freezing rain. Got things ready just in case . Jerry has fresh gas in generator. Plenty of wood in basement.And extra ice melt. And he started snow blower.

10. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

It came through here last night. They were saying 2 to 4 inches of snow with up to 30 mph winds. We only got 3/4 of an inch but we did have the wind. The wind kept the east/west roads clear, but drifted on the north/south roads. The storm started to rotate just before it got to us and the southern and eastern counties got it all.

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

It is sunny and winds have let up. But think we are spoiled forgot what Winters are like. Got to buy more Suet cakes and sunflower beds in case we do have frezing rain and can't get to store.

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Gosh, Kosta... where in Iowa are you? I'm next door in Nebraska, and we have not had any bad weather here at all. Last week, a few days with high winds (must've been on the tail end of a cold front going towards you and others to the east)
    It has been weirdly nice so far this winter. Only shoveled snow twice.

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I'm west of Amana Colonies- In Iowa County.But Nothing like snows we had last winter. But ever-green and snow fencing helps. From getting drifts like we use to get. But would like to blade for our rider. Got biggest snow blower I could find.

14. Kay

Yep, The past two winters we had record snowfalls and quite a bit of nasty cold winter weather. In 2010, we weren't sure if the snow would ever melt! As much as I hate snow, we really ought to get some, or it will get too dry.
    Today it is 45F and clear, sunny skies. Tomorrow will be warmer. Strange.. :-?

15. Kay

Yep, The past two winters we had record snowfalls and quite a bit of nasty cold winter weather. In 2010, we weren't sure if the snow would ever melt! As much as I hate snow, we really ought to get some, or it will get too dry.
    Today it is 45F and clear, sunny skies. Tomorrow will be warmer. Strange.. :-?

16. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Highs today was 40 degrees colder then last Sat. But last year had actual temps of -40 with out wind chill.