Money Plant help.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by FlowerFreak22, Jun 3, 2009.

1. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I have some small Lunaria annua that I have been growing from seeds since the spring. Their not very big, but this morning I decided to move them from the pots and into the ground. I picked what I thought would be a good spot for them, planted them, and watered them. I went back a few hours later to discover that their starting to droop a little. Is this normal and are just trying to adjust to their new home or should I move them somewhere else?

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The Lunaria prefers to stand in the full sun or a slightly shady place.

One thing that I have noticed with transplanting plants is that they do better if I transplant them on an overcast day...ort even rainy day. If that can't be done, then at the very end of the day.
    The reason for this is that plantlets don't seem to do well when the sun beats down on them in their weakened state. (when you transplant the very act of transplanting gives their system a bit of a shock and this weakens them. I personally believe it is the root disruption that begins the "shock process" that is the key here.

Further, I always soak plants in water for 15-45 minutes before planting and then I fill the hole with water before lowering the plant down into it and covering it.

It is common for plants to stop their growing process for about two weeks after transplanting as a result of root "trauma".

So...your plants are already in the ground and are watered-in if I understand you correctly. If they make it through the day, I suspect that they will begin to perk-up overnight.

The Lunaria is a nice plant and the bees and butterflies seem to really like the flowers. I always have a couple in my flower garden and I let them stay wherever they come up.
    Here they bloom in the early spring and are presently making the "coins".

Let us know how that plant fares. I suspect they it will do ok.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lunaria seems to do best for me in filtered sun. Too much sun here and they seem to droop.

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Thank you!:-D The root shock seems to be what the problem was. I went and checked on them today and they are looking better. Now just hoping they will make it through this super hot summer. :eek:

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ach FF I think that they will bot do just fine, but if they are the same type as mine they fon't bloom for very long.
    Once the blooms have faded you could give them a bit of water once and awhile...but just enough to keep them slightly moist.
    When they come up all by themselves and you leave them where they come up you won't have to give them any water at all. That is because they will send a root deep down to where there is moisture.

I hope you will be pleased with these.