More, More!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Aug 20, 2005.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

As if I didn't have enough stuff to plant from what I bought on Wednesday, we bought some more and some more. I went to work at the library on Friday afternoon. Brian dropped me off and when he came to pick me up he said he had been in the post office and heard two men talking about a plant sale so he went to look. He bought a 2ft tall honeysuckle, a cape honeysuckle and a jasmine vine. So, he took me to look on our way home. We bought two Italian Cypress, 4ft. and another cape honeysuckle and an agapanthus, several in 2 gallon pot. Today, I've dug six large holes so far. I have mixed soil, compost and manure. We still have the new flower bed to make by the front gate. That's what the landscape timbers are for. It's in a corner so Brian will fasten them to the bottom of the fence and make them two high. Then, I can mix my dirt and compost and plant the geraniums there. I have a metal garden arbor that I bought at a discount store where I can plant some honey suckle. I'm not sure about the jasmine and the other honeysuckle. It will take some thought. I can't plant too much in the back yard because, (1) we have a dog that needs space to run and (2) we have a walnut tree that spreads across the lower half and not everything grows under walnut trees. Well, I do like plants and flowers and I will find a place for them for sure. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like you have a lot of work on your hands Dooley and also a plant addiction :D If only you hadn't heard about that plant sale. Still there are worse addictions I guess :)

When will you find the time to plant all of those? Are you going to plant them straight away? I would love to see some piccies!

4. dooley

Have planted

Hi! So far, we have planted two honeysuckle vines, two arborvitae trees, two Italian cypress and the dianthus. Today, I will dig holes again and plant the two cape honeysuckle. Brian put together an arbor we bought on sale. He knows why it was on sale. Parts were missing. It is a little wobbly so he had to make adjustments. He's handy to have around during gardening projects. Other projects, too. We'll be married 44 years on Aug. 26th. I think I will keep him around another 44. He's working on a shade shelter now. He says it will probably be for the dog since it isn't going together any better than the arbor did. Next, he will do the flower bed by the front gate for the geraniums. We do keep busy for being retired folks. Dooley

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Uh Oh Dooley - naughty, naughty!!! Buying all those plants - you'd never catch ME doing that!! :rolleyes:
    Btw did I tell you I was off to Holland a week on Wednesday? Managed to book into a hotel in Alkmaar. Now it just so happens that Alkmaar has one of the BIGGEST garden centres you are ever likely to see. Acres and acres of plants!!!!! :D Any bets as to what our 4x4 will be loaded with when we come back?????? :D :D

6. dooley

where to plant

Never bet on a sure thing! I planted the honeysuckle. We have six of them now. We decided where to plant the jasmine vine and the trumpet vine. In the morning I have to work at the library so maybe in the afternoon I will get the holes dug for those vines. I will need to sift some more dirt to mix with the compost, etc. Yesterday, we bought a big bag of bark mulch. Today we went back after another bag and decided to buy two bags so we wouldn't have to go back tomorrow. It's about 50 miles round trip. We combined todays trip with other errands. So, I hope when you come home from Holland you don't have to spend a week digging holes and deciding where to plant things. Most of what we bought is trees or prennials so it's a good time to plant them. Dooley