Morning Glories Not Blooming

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Jun 20, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Last year I grew some Morning Glory from a store-bought packet. They were in a rather small container but still put on alot of blooms. I harvested some of the seeds and planted them about 4-6 weeks ago. They sprouted rather quickly... and grew just as fast.
    But... there's not ONE single sign of it flowering!

[​IMG]
    morning glories - no flowers ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

What gives? Do I wait a little longer? Or did I grow a sterile variety?

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I had volunteer morning glories last year that never bloomed..... at least they sure looked like Morning Glories... it's a mystery. I wonder what gives?

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Have you tried some kind of fertilizer? I keep seeds from mine and they bloom profusely every year.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Fertilizer - too much nitrogen will produce too many leaves and not enough blooms. I never fertilize Morning Glories.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

While I start my morning glories from store seeds, perhaps a fertilizer with a high phosphorus content. Some people say never fertilize others don't have a problem. The plants may just be late bloomers. I would fertilize a selected plant and not the others, experimenting that way may give you more answers.

Jerry

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I have had self-seeded morning glories that have come up and flowered.
    So...there is hope for you.
    If however there is too much nitrogen in the soil where you planted the seeds, they may well never flower.

Good luck with those--the foliage looks grand.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree on the foliage looking good. they may not have enough potassium in the soil. if you want to try, get one with a high middle number and fertilize with that. or just wait and see if they do anything in the next week. Did you use manure compost on them?

9. cherylad

I have never tested the soil, so I have no clue to it's makeup.
    Didn't use manure. Did put some fertilizer on them once they were growing (all I remember is that it had a high middle number). And have watered with Miracle-Gro.
    Although I do like Morning Glories, I've discovered I don't like them on that fence... the foliage is just too dense for that area.
    I'm not going to waste any extra effort on them. They have until July 1st to bloom. If they don't, they will get pulled up. That gives a bit more water for the Hyacinth Bean Vines (that I got from Toni) and other plants in those beds.
    Thanks for the suggestions though!

10. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

Cheryl
    I put in a packet of MGs' 9 years ago. And they were spectacular! NOW....I would like to scream at all the self seeded ones that keep taking over my yard!
    The birds love them and spread them EVERYWHERE !!!!
    I pull out hundreds everyday because they climb everything !!
    I will not ever plant them again. It is as awful as bindweed in a farmers field.
    I love flowers. Just not MG"s! They are like kudzu

11. cindjo717

cindjo717 Seedling

Morning Glories like poor sandy soil. No fertilizer and neglect..

12. cherylad

Just a day or two after my original posting... I noticed a couple of spent blooms. I told myself I'd go ahead and let them live. Afterall... I planted them there, the least I could do is let them live at least one year. Then I thought about the water they were consuming and their lack of producing flowers. Then I thought about them reseeding next year and I'd have even a bigger battle on my hands.
    Then there was the fact they were starting to choke off the Hyacinth Bean Vines... which I really like!
    So today, I made my decision. Away with them... well at least with half of them.

[​IMG]
    morning glories-almost gone ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I felt bad about ripping them out of the ground and chopping them up and tossing them away... but at the same time I felt good about saving the HBVs.
    Plus I like the fact that the fence isn't totally obscured by the vines and I can, again, see the bird bath and feeder.
    I'm pretty sure I'll end up destroying the other section within the next few days... unless they really just start blooming like crazy (which I doubt).

I'm sure I'm not the only who's regretting planting something in the wrong spot. :( I'll just have to chalk it up to "lesson learned".

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké then, Alea jacte est, as Julius is reportedly to have said.
    Do you already have plans for the remainder of the season for that fence?

14. cherylad

No Sjoerd... no plans for additional vines. It's too dry & hot to try to get something started now.
    Not sure I'll put any more vines. I like it being a little open.... that way I don't feel so "closed in".
    But I can always change my mind, again, right? :-D

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

:snicker: chuckling hard.....yes, you can. It falls into that neblous category of, "A Woman's Prerogative", eh?

16. cherylad

Men got extra strength... women got the right to change our minds. I think we won on that one!
    :smt045