Musical theatrics in the garden

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by devonpete, Jan 18, 2007.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

I have a circular bed (about 12 feet across) in one corner of my garden. This is quite a dull corner as there's nothing but bungalow walls to look at. I thought I'd add some musical ingredient, and wondered if anyone else has rigged up garden music, and if it was effective or not.
    The way I intend to do it is that I have erected three 'easy-build' metal arches (usually go across a path, but I've linked their upright parts into a three sided 'box' - tall arch at the back, and slightly shorter ones each side at right angles.)
    The idea is to train ramblers up them, roses, honeysuckles, etc, and for garden festivities to run a 'chasing' light rope I have around the contours of the three arches. Sort of like a cinema organ effect that changes colours.
    Now, for the music, I have a keyboard which is capable of playing floppy disc midi files - anything from Glenn Miller to classical, carnival organ, whatever.
    This would sit at the back across the rear arch on a removable shelf. With the middle of the bed planted out with colour, the whole effect should be that suggesting a park-type bandstand (my avatar gets close).
    As far as annoying the neighbours goes, I've found in the past that music outdoors doesn't actually carry that far without amplification. So it should be no more annoying than hearing someone's radio playing quietly in an adjoining garden. And if it's on in the evening with all the lights chasing around it, most will be indoors anyway and with double glazing you don't get to hear much from outside.
    Without the keyboard in place, and as the light rope is not seen easily when it's not on, the whole would return to it's normal arch/roses image when not in use.
    Any thoughts? Anyone done anything similar, or with music?
    Pete

2. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

This is what I have so far...
    [​IMG]
    Pete.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It certainly sounds intriguing Pete but I've no experience whatsoever about installing music into a garden I'm afraid. :( All the help I can give you is that I once saw a friend put electric cabling into his garden to light his shed. He fed the cable through an old, flexible garden hose before burying it underground and marking the line of it well so that it wouldn't be damaged if he ever dug into the soil. No much is it? Sorry. I'm sure that you'll get it figured out soon and remember - we want piccies of everything!!! :-D

4. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Sounds like a great idea. (Pardon the pun.) We await the pics.

5. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Ohh that's an interesting idea!! My garden is such a soothing place. I love to sit on my bench with a good book and a big iced tea!! I can imagine some nice soothing garden music and I would need a hammock to fall asleep in!! BTW a hammock is really what I need!!lol