My amaryllis are in bloom now

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by bsewnsew, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

My 2 amaryllis son gave me for christmas are now in bloom an so pretty red . 4 blooms on each.
    I was shocked to get those . Only took a month to bloom.
    Any one else have them in bloom?
    Been afraid to post photos, cause someone says photobucket has been spreading virus.
    Anyone know>?
    thanks

b

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I've had such pleasure from two amaryllis that I started just before Christmas. One had 4 and the other had SIX blooms. Plus, each had a 2nd bloom with 2 on one plant and the other getting ready to bloom in the next day or two. Pink with stripes and white with red streaks. Lovely. I took pics but didn't do their beauty justice. They're fun.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

My very favorite bulbs.Mine or all in the yard.I think Laura counted 34 of them in bloom last year while I was in Montana.I sure hope the freeze didn't hurt them this year.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I replanted an amaryllis I got last year. It bloomed and produced lovely white flowers striped with pink. However, this year it only has one long leaf and nothing else. :( I'm still hoping that, in time, it will have a flower spike.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have a bulb saved from last year (still wrapped in the newspaper). I shall start it in a week or two, I expect.
    I quite enjoy these plants because they grow so fast...and what blooms they have!

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

What should I do with them when they are finished their bloom? Keep planted till Fall and then let them go dormant? These have no foliage at all, only the flower spike.

Eileen I hope yours blooms again. I'd love to see 34 of them at once Glenda.

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I kept some over from last year, none rebloomed either.
    So I was sure suprised with that christmas gift.

I get all sorts of info on how to redo them. None work for me.

Maybe santa will keep giving.LOL

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'd LOVE to see your Amaryllis Barb! You can upload your photo's right here in Gardenstew. Go to "my garden" to upload them...

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The Amaryllis I have had for a couple of years has been reclaimed by my oldest daughter since they are now renting a house and she has a place in the sun for it. :( I am really going to miss it.

Once the blooms have withered cut the stem back to just above the bulb. Like with other bulbs, let the leaves die back naturally since they are absorbing energy going to the bulb for next years growth.

Daisybeans I have read that the ones with no foliage at bloom time will usually put out lots of leaves after the blooms have died. I guess it is a wait and see in your case.

I do know that they like to be root bound so keep them in the original pot. You can put them outside for the summer..place the pot somewhere in full sun or bury the pot in the ground in full sun. They don't tolerate the really freezing weather in the norther zones so they need to be inside.

If there are leaves but no blooms the next year then it probably didn't get enough sunlight during it's 'recharging' period and doesn't have enough energy to bloom.

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks Toni. Let's see how it goes, right Barb? I hope I remember to bring them back in when Fall comes around.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I will post them all if the freeze didn't get them.Dooley did see them all blooming as she took pictures of them and posted lots of them.I never bring them in but I will pull back the dirt from the top of the bulbs as thats what you suppose to do.I never do anything to them until the old bloom stem turns brown and then I cut
    it off.The foliage is very pretty.

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Oh goody love to see them.

barb

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've got one who's blooming now, but it's not mine. It's my middle daughter's. :D Still, I get to enjoy it and that's the main thing. :D

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Thats true.
    Any thing anywhere in the winter here is enjoyable.

;o)

b

16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I had a couple of amaryllis bulbs for several years. They are sure tough to have made it with me for as long as they did. :-? They even managed to rebloom a few times. Just don't water them once you bring them in at the end of summer. Mine didn't die but it did kind of rot part of the bulb :'( . Surprisingly they continued to grow and heal. I was able to hand them off to a better caretaker. :stew1: