My daughter's garden

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Paige and William recently built their home in a brand new subdivision. The building company did basic landscaping in each of the homes, making liberal use of holly and boxwood bushes as foundation plants, plus one other that I'm entirely unfamiliar with. And then some liriope, which it seemed they just randomly put here and there, with no rhyme or reason, in the front garden plot.

They'd been needing to get the garden cleaned up for the spring and summer, so I lent a hand, and in the process created a little more order to the plants that are there, so that the spring planting they wanted to do was a little more easily accomplished.

Here's a before and after of the beginning stages. You can't see much specific stuff, but it gives you an idea of what a huge difference a bit of general cleanup, several bags of much, and a flat of marigolds can make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While you're perusing the photos, anyone have any idea what they tall, skinny looking plants are that flank the steps? They're not particularly attractive. Are they going to grow into trees?

If need be, I'll take closer photos of them so you can get a better idea. I'm really curious to know what they are, and what they'll look like when they're mature. I'm getting the idea that the builder didn't give much thought at all to the choices of plants for these homes, so I don't have very high hopes that those particular bushes are going to be appropriate to where they're planted.

Jewell, Donna S and waretrop like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wonderful difference. Don't you just love to get your hands dirty???

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ronni your daughter's garden now looks like a garden and far more attractive than it was before.

As to the two trees growing on either side of the front door steps they could be Golden Elm (Ulmus Wredei.) I have to admit they're not the most elegant looking plants and wouldn't have been my first choice.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

They could be Italian Cypress, aka Green Pencils. Ghastly plant, should never have been exported from Italy. If so, rip them out and beat the builder over the head with them.
    Paige and William are so lucky to have you as a garden consultant!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Get a closer picture, but most likely they were cheap and nasty plants. They probably rank right up there with that BC Pear.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Toni, that's what they are. I checked your link, then did a bunch of googling. And yup, that's them all right.

I think they're hideous. :( I'm going to suggest to the kids that they replace them with something a little more attractive. Azalea bushes would fulfill the soil and sun requirements. (mostly sun and clay type soil...yuck.) Any other suggestions?

9. JohnAtk

JohnAtk New Seed

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks for the suggestion, John. You can't tell from the picture, but I chose marigolds to plant as little color accents in the garden. Great minds........ :)

11. AvaRose82

AvaRose82 Seedling