My Garden Through Another's Eyes

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sjoerd, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A few weeks ago a collegue came over to the lottie for a visit. He had his new camera along with him and took some pics.
    here are three of his pics.
    The canal was (and still is) full of these little fellows.
    [​IMG]
    The Dagkoekoeksbloem (Silene dioica) is a common flower here, but none-the-less-attractive.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a creeping plant with tee-ninetsy blooms and leaves. It is protected here. I just can't for the life of me recall it's name.
    [​IMG]
    I just let this one go it;s own way and do what it wants.
    One can see this little plant in cities growing in the crevices of old buildings and walls.

2. Loading...

3. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

Delightful pictures. Your collegue has a great eye for photography. I especially love the photo of the little flowers. How resourceful of that little plant to grow anywhere and everywhere.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It is interesting to see what things catch other people's attention, isn't it? I sometimes am so focused on the things I want to do or didn't get to or worked hard on, that I miss other details, like tee-ninetsy blossoms and such. The other day someone said my grass looked nice and I was taken aback because I hadn't even noticed..

The three pics here are all very different. That looks like a good size frog! I like the composition of the third one - the blossoms looks a little like teeny little orchids.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Chelsea...I shall pass the compliments on.
    I like those little flowers very much too. it's a sham,e that they have taken up residfence in such an out of the way place...but you are right the plant is resorceful and can take-up residence in so many impossible paces.
    Should I ever build a rock garden, I may well try and transplant a small clump of it.

Daisy--I know what you mean by overlooking the obviopus when focused upon something else.
    Well, I am always so keen to see if this little plant survives each year. I like it so much. Sometimes such wonderful things are to be seen even though they are very small.
    The frog really isn't very large--sort of the size as a common garden toad there...or a bit smaller, I reckon. He used a zoom lens to captuer the image.
    The little flowers are growing oput of the top of a stake that is driven into the mud to hold the canal siding in place. I have Daisies growing out of another one. Being broken they just seem to catch seeds that are blown by or dropped in by birds.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My mother's got that plant in her garden. It's Cymbalaria muralis. :D

Your friend's photos are very nice indeed. It's fun to see your own garden through other people's eyes.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Way to go, Droopy! Thanks for telling me the name. I guess that I could have known that your mum or the 'Maiden of Molde' would have had it and known the name. I just never thought to ask.
    I was hoping that he had taken some fotos from a distance, but all that he took were macro fotos.
    Speaking of knowledgeable Norwegians...how is your friend with the cats doing these days. Have you made any trips out that way lately.
    I like it when you go to visit your friends and come back with loads of fotos and news of their new aquisitions.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I see quite a bit of Ivy leaved Toadflax ( common name for Cymbalaria muralis) around here as we have some old 'dry stane dykes' that it seems to thrive in. It's such a dainty little plant and I wouldn't mind if it moved into my garden somewhere. I love it when wildflowers appear where you least expect them don't you? :-D

Love the shot of the frog as you can see all the interesting patterns on its skin in detail.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Great pictures Sjoerd.I'm glad your friend showed up with his camera.I love the little toad.and the little flowers are so cute.

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Tiny plants are much to be appreciated. I just purchased some small creeping Geranium to plant between stones in my border. Those are great photos.

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

How sweet it is ..Sjoerd...
    Tell friend thoae are awesome and the camera worked good.

They ought to join GardenStew..

12. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Great pictures Sjoerd, your friend is talented. I also love the plant with the tiny flowers, it's a beauty.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Eileen-- I sure do like it when wild flowers spontaneously appear in the lottie. I am particularly plerase with the presence of the Cymbalaria muralis. Sometimes when I would see it growing here and there in cities, I would be so tempted to pluk a little clump. I feel like it's presence is sort of like karma for not being naughty. hahaha,
    That was an interesting term that you uses, "dry stane dykes". That word, "stane"...does it mean "stone" in Scottish? I say it's interesting because althouigh the spelling is different from our word for "stone" the pronunciation is the same.
    I have said before that there are a number of similarities betweeen Scottish words and Dutch ones.

Thanks Glenda, I'm glad that you liked them.

B-- I shall tell him, but he doesn't speak english well and he has no interest in gardening.

Thanks again, all for your nice comments. As I said, I will be sure to let him know.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Daisy--that was indeed interesting to read.
    Plants are such interesting things.

16. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd 'dry stane dyke' means 'dry stone wall' in English so you were spot on with you guess. :-D