My Greenhouse I Was So Ashamed...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by waretrop, Jun 19, 2013.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ok After over reading someone else's topic, I was shamed into cleaning up the ole greenhouse. It only took 1 full days work stretched out to 2 days. I haven't felt like touching it for a number of years but hopefully I am getting on track now. I seem to be....I love my greenhouse and plants but was not in the right frame of mind recently. I was thinking of closing it down. Being here has helped me greatly and I thank you all for helping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel much better now that it is clean

moderator's note: removed color and/or enlarged font sized see point 3.2 of usage rules

Frank, calinromania, KK Ng and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

After seeing how good yours looks now I really do have to get mine tidied up too.
    Do you fancy coming and cleaning out my greenhouse Barb? It's only a little one so it wouldn't take you too long. ;)

donna in nc likes this.
  4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Gosh Barb, If I'd have known I would have come and helped you! It looks beautiful! :p Now you all have guilted me into straightening mine... :rolleyes:

donna in nc likes this.
  5. waretrop

Wow Guys.....very cute....

stratsmom Even if you would come here I wouldn't have wanted to do it. Guess no one can hold it against others. Ya just have to wait till there ready. I am now. My wonderful hubby helped me all day that day. He is so supportive I just can't believe it.

eileen, I have a small one also but it's full of pots. I have to clean that out next because next Spring I want to start stuff in that one. Actually I have this wonderful back building that has most of the extra pots in. I have a million of them. Once I get a cleanin I love it. I could hop over the great pond and help you but I don't think we'd get much work done. I would want to take a garden walkabout for about the first week. :-D

But you all could drop in on me anytime. I could have the coffee or tea or wine ready in a instant. We all could get lost around here.

donna in nc likes this.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You both should be proud of all your hard work. That looks fantastic!
    Now missy... if you promise not to let it get out of control again, you can have one small celebratory glass of wine
    :-D

donna in nc likes this.
  7. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Wow, that's cool. I'd love to have a greenhouse like that.

8. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Great Job... I think you are feeling just like me after cleaning a tiny patch of garden that was invaded by weeds...

9. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Well done, looks great, but you feel better I'm sure.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Congrats Barb! You have a wonderful green house! I do know what you mean though about just needing the motivation to tackle something that has gotten out of control. Good for you!

donna in nc likes this.
  11. waretrop

Yes, I. Feel. So. Much. Better... I lost hundreds of plants over these last few years for various reasons but didn't have the ability to get out there. Here is a picture of what is once looked like.

[​IMG]

This was years ago but it shows now many plants I had. It was a jungle. There was a little table that you could have a cup of coffee and snack. I used to have friends over for lunch out there. Now, that was a great walkabout. It was so interesting, it took them hours to see everything. It was a paradise especially in the Winter when we had lots of snow on the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

donna in nc likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Looks like a wonderful indoor paradise. You are fortunate to have such a space. Barb, I am sure you will be populating your greenhouse again with some wonderful plants.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, We love you and are so glad you are here with us. Your greenhouse looks awesomely great (and inviting for sure), now. The other way was a jungle, but just as interesting in its own way. Did you find some forgotten treasures in all that foliage? I am sure I would have been saying "WHERE did that come from, I forgot I had that...." etc.

14. waretrop

OH, Sweet Carolyn...You are a gem. XXOOXX.

I found hundreds of pots with dirt in them. No buried treasures. We had a hole to fill way out back and we just kept willing it. It was heartbreaking. but that Pilea kept right on growing under the bench. Nothing will kill that.

I don't want to be over run with plants like that again. I am going to do African Violets again. That will take a good amount of space. We will start that this summer and probably won't have anything available for 8 months. After that I will sell them to help pay for the fuel in the Winter.

We will compartmentize the Violets so we can keep them warmer than the rest of the greenhouse. That's how we did it years ago.

I will take the 2 terrariums down and we have moved the "L" shaped terrarium to a corner where it's out of the way. I will set that up in the Fall. It has it's own watering and drainage system so once it gets going it will be on it's own.

I would like to try growing my veggie seeds this next year so I need to save room for that.

That's all the plans we have for now. It just needs to recover from that large clean out. I will tell you that I had very little insect with all that neglect. Only chipmunks.. they eat allot of things.

donna in nc likes this.
  15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I would not have the $$$$ to heat one here in In Iowa. Dh buy a 8x10 one last Sat. But not for plants---his 12 homing pigeons. :rolleyes: It was all put together . So loaded it in pickup-many ropes tying it down-9 mile trip on gravel---15 mph.

donna in nc likes this.
  16. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

A tough job well done Barb and I just remembered I still have a very tough job still uncompleted. My Impossible Dream!!! is still just a dream becoming a nightmare. I had most of the items removed from the shelves and they are all over the floor for quite sometime now. :oops:

You inspired me with what you did to your greenhouse and I am going to finish off with what I have to do, today, yes today ... maybe after my afternoon nap. :-D

A pat on your back for a job well done. :D

donna in nc likes this.