My husband does'nt step into the garden....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

...unless I drag him to help me weed. He can't tell a flower from a fruit to save his life. So, guess what I got him for Father's day? :D

Happy Fathers day to all the wonderful Dad's out there!!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

stratsmom and Annette like this.
  2. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I caught my husband pulling out the beebalm, I told him to stop, they weren't weeds. Now he stops and glares at them, he doesn't see the beauty!

How do you get yours to weed? Mine will only help if he is doing something 'manly' LOL

3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Threatening usually works here ;)
    I dragged him once, spent the time to tell him exactly what to pull out (I could have pulled them out myself in that time)and he did just that. I mean literally 'ONLY' pulled out the weeds I had asked him to pull. He didnt even move them from the spot. Just pulled and left them there :scheming:

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

LOL Oh, I get those literal responses... keeps me on my toes!

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

OH, you poor girls! I have a KEEPER. HE pulls and hoes and plants and weeds and tills and makes me greenhouses and mulches and then starts all over again as soon as it is needed, which would be...TOMORROW!

6. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Oh Carolyn, trust me mine's a keeper, his most endearing trait is loving me for who I am, which isn't easy! -he just also keeps out of the garden LOL

As for being a handyman: he is a very good computer programmer rofl

carolyn likes this.
  7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Even though my hubby knows alot about plants, he's not allowed to "touch" anything in my part of the yard. He is allowed to water if I'm not there and something is wilting terribly.
    My garden... my rules. :stew2:

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

There are some of us that pull the weeds not the flowers. My wife is not allowed to pull weeds. I won't find empty ground where forget-me-nots once lived. The flowers are a lot happier.

Jerry

9. Tina

Tina Young Pine

OMG!! CrisGzr!! I could have written that post myself. Mine is soooo much a keeper too AND a computer programmer too :)

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My husband readily admits he wouldn't dare pull anything in our borders bar dandelions. :D He often can't tell plants from weeds and we think it's safer this way. He's a gem when it comes to trimming bushes, removing trees, supplying us with soil and bark mulch and use the compost grinder, and he's good at making paths and water features and looking after them. He's got his Helianthus tuberosus, Jerusalem artichokes, to mind, and we feel we've organized the outside work to our satisfaction. :D

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's taken me around 37 years to train mine but he's getting there! He now knows (well almost) what are weeds and what are treasured plants. :rolleyes:

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't let my husband NEAR my gardens! He's a great handyman and grass cutter, but I don't want him in my gardens. He did once rototill the veggie garden for me when my back was sore bless his heart.
    I can honestly say I did all these gardens MYSELF :)

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, You have a treasure....just saying he loves you is really what matters the most. Mine loves me, too, but he does much that I don't have time to do ( or really want to do :rolleyes: ) such as planting 8-10 rows of corn once a week (only two more weeks of that, too), rototilling the rows so I don't have to pull everything, planting more stuff, laying plastic, planting more stuff. picking the endless strawberry patch, and right this moment he is out picking raspberries, where I ought to be,...going as soon as I am done with this post. We grow for 3 farmers markets and it takes a lot of man hands to get it all done. BUT he never touches my flower beds, how about that!?!

14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We help each other. It is easy for me get down on my knees. And Since he Bought me the Mantis tiller for Mother's day. He ask if I have anything to till. Going to go weed around the peppers for him. And put more mulch down.

15. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Tina, if they are the same and you love him; then we must, therefore, have a similar and necessary sense of humor! It's a good thing when geeks unite!

He tries but...

Once I argued that we'd save $$ if we (meaning him) changed the oil in the car ourselves (meaning himself). After NOT looking at the instructions, he disappeared into the garage attached to our office suite. He returned after a while to ask if oil should be red or is that the usual for color of oil in Volvos... after explaining that he drained the transmission fluid, he left to go buy more transmission fluid -then he came back and told me he replaced the transmission fluid but forgot to put the washer back on... he drained and replaced the transmission fluid a third time. Then, he changed the oil, which he told me was much easier than the transmission fluid!

To this day, he argues that DIY is pretty expensive, in his humble opinion!

But, he is my soulmate! and he is not joining in this discussion to remind you of all my screw ups!