My Knowledge Is Bush League

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Sjoerd, Jul 29, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

IMG_4319.jpeg

This is a Weigela. It had variegated foliage. Two years ago I cut back all the branches and dug it up to replant elsewhere. Now the new foliage has reverted back. One small twig still has the virus.

I want to take that twig and create a whole new bush. What I am doing then is, asking for your opinion what the best way to do that is. What say you, colleagues?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd you can take cuttings in the fall soft stem or you can root cuttings using rock root method to propagate many stems by root layering method. I’ve had good luck with the root layering method. Plus you have way bigger starts for new plants.
    See techniques step by step on YouTube.

I have a huge weigela variegated for many years they are hardy plants and loads of blooms early spring. Attract bees and easy care.
    Weigela (Florida varigata)
    IMG_2268.jpeg

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Pac— I see that I will have to do lots of reading. That kittle rwig is not new growth, rather hardened and several years old. Was it fresh, soft new growth, I would have seen more possibilities. Anyhow, I sure appreciate your input.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I use a rock or brick to hold the prepared stem in place on the soil. Remove leaves from attached stem place on soil . In a few month remove the rock , cut the stem free from the mother plant, carefully dig up stem from the soil which will have many new roots growing in the soil from the area the leaves were removed is where the roots form. Easy Peasy.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I've had good success with air layeing.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you two. I was hoping to hear your personal experiences. I am really happy to hear your preferences.

It is now the end of july, do you feel that is a preferred time to do this?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    Daniel W likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Pac, thanks for posting that video. It's down-to-earth, well presented, a solid, successful method that's been around for many generations. Probably, centuries. No selling something, just garden experience. :stew2:

I know we live in the era of "buy it and stick it into the ground", which certainly gives us plenty of novel varieties ready to plant. Some are great. But passing down plants from family and friends and neighbors is very enjoyable and also frugal. Home propagation always makes me feel connected to gardeners in the past, and empowered too.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is such a good response, Daniel. Spot on, mate.

Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Actually propagation techniques is how I have so many garden plants . This garden didn’t start out to be a huge monster. The land was generally for the horses.

However , once I became involved with the local garden club it was gardening all the way, the best experience ever. We shared all our plants, techniques even had special well known speakers, horticulturist and nursery reps come to meetings with new plants, floral shows, plant sales and more. It was a blast. We even did the towns lil parade to promote the garden club.and we were in charge of the beautification project for the town square.
    It’s all relevant and somehow between horses and gardens it became a way of life.

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.