My Lily Seedlings

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by donm, Jun 25, 2012.

1. donm

donm In Flower

Five years ago I used the winter sowing technique to get my first lily sprout. It started blooming 3 years later. It really multiplied this year.

[​IMG]

Three years ago I winter sowed two varieties of lily. I received the seeds in a swap marked "lily seeds" on the pack. Last year one of them bloomed for the first time. The second lily is the same. I have to wait a few days longer for #3.

[​IMG]

Last year I received some lily seeds for postage. I put them in a plastic zip-lock bag with moist potting soil and put them into the crisper of my refrigerator. I kept checking the seeds and as they sprouted I put them into plastic cups that had soil in them. When it got warm in May I put them outside into four inch pots. In early September I planted them into the garden. I can't believe some are blooming their first year. Here are the first two of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don

stratsmom and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Wow, you've done well! :D Your daylilies are lovely. Isn't it nice to know you've known them since they were seed?

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great job. I figured it would take several years for Daylilies to bloom from seed. Your's look great!

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Cool Beans 8)