My little sprout

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by gardennut, Mar 26, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Here is the little sprout I was talking about, I tried to get a closer or better picture that was not so blurry. So here goes.

[​IMG]
    calla lily sprout ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

Frank, eileen, Donna S and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:

3. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

There is a lot of sunshine coming in the picture window today, so I took the two calla lily sprouts and the moonflower seeds that I planted in a pot and put them in the window, I was going to put the poinsetta there because it is pretty warm coming in. Does that seem like a good idea to you?

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sunshine and warmth sounds pretty good. Just make sure they don't burn.

5. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Would it be too warm to put my amaryllis in the window? Right now I have it in front of the window with a curtain separating it from the window. It has been in the low 60's and plenty of sunshine, what do you think?

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Amaryllis like sunshine. They can grow outdoors in the summer in the north in full sunlight.
    Your little calla lily sprout looks great! Always good to see new growth.

7. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

My little calla lily is now sprouting a leaf instead of just a seedling, will post pics later!

marlingardener likes this.
  8. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

calla lily leaf

Do you have any idea how hard it is to take a picture of a little bitty leaf? I took two and was able to lighten one of them good enough so you can see the leaf, I am so excited! I guess I did not know exactly how they grew, I mist the top of the soil and that is how I water it. I hope you can see the leaf. 8)

[​IMG]
    calla lily leaf! ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

stratsmom and Donna S like this.
  9. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Are you sure this is Calla Lily sprout? Mine sprouted as a cylinder. Something like this :

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

10. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

calla lily update

I don't know, but I guess they can sprout both ways, every web page I go to for pictures show them as leaves AND cylinders. So I guess we will see what mine does, right now I have it under the lamp because of the cooler weather, the lamp is flourescent so it won't burn the seedling.

This is my little sprout as you can tell it has a friend, I see that the second sprout is cylinder, don't know what that means, but I guess it likes it where it is so I think I will keep it under the lamp.

[​IMG]
    calla lily update ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

11. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

calla lily update

As of June 1,2014 this is my calla lily and friend, it is sure growing fast now.

[​IMG]
    updated calla lily and friend ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

12. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

calla lilies

Calla lily and friend, I was surprised to see another one sprouting, I did not know that it was going to do that and it is a very pleasant surprise. I have went to different web pages and it says it is doing what it is supposed to do, so I am just going to keep on doing what I have been doing. I put it in the picture window and this is what happened after just two days in there.

[​IMG]
    calla lilies ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

13. tess1893

tess1893 New Seed

Callas love full sun. I've got mine planted were they get southerly sun so in. The winter the ground will stay a little warmer. I don't dig mine up in fall and they still come back

14. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

calla lilies update

Here is the calla lilies in the picture window, they love it there, every once in awhile I take it outside and let it get fresh air and sunshine. I make sure I am out there at the same time so the animals won't try to dig it up, I leave it out there for about a hour or two depending on if anyone else is there if I have to come in for any reason. Can anyone tell me how much longer it will take for them to get big enough to bloom?

[​IMG]
    calla in window ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It really needs a bigger pot or plant it out in the garden. The pot restricts the size of the root mass and it is hard to get much in the way of blooms in a too small pot. You could use a lot more potting mix in there, too. repot it and fill the pot up so that the plant has more room for the roots to grow.
    Don't forget to fertilize it, too. Without enough "food" it won't be able to produce a bloom. Feed it something like miracle grow or add osmocote to the potting mix when you repot it. The osmocote works by absorbing water and as it absorbs water the fertilizer is pushed out of the sphere. eventually you will have little hollow shells in the mix.

16. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn---I always wondered how osmocote worked. I've seen the little empty balls.

Gardenut--I think Calla liles are meant to be outside plants. If you want to grow it indoors, be sure it gets plenty of sunshine! Your little plant looks healthy.