My Local Garden Tour 2015

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by waretrop, Mar 13, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yesterday at the garden club meeting I asked how you get 'in' the garden tour. They put me on the list to be examined. That will happen at the end of June.

Now I have allot of work to do here. I must begin by labeling everything. I also have to keep the weeds down everyday. I think we do a good job knowing how many gardens we have but it must be kept perfect and not get behind at all. then I have to get a planting all those plants I made in the greenhouse over the Winter.

I am still dazed that they would even listen to me, let alone that I am on the list.

Does anyone have and suggestions for me? Things to do or anything. I have never done anything like this before.

Frank, Clay_22 and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Congratulations! I've never done anything like that so I am not the one to give you advice. You use a lot of mulch so weeding shouldn't be a problem, and I've seen photos of your gardens ... I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

You will be the envy of all. And you do it all yourself. I'm sure most have companies taking care of their gardens. I agree with Netty... you have nothing to worry about.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow, Barb. Are you going to have time for that. We need you here :-D. ahhh, go ahead and enjoy it and yourself. You might need to get a couple kids to help you out for a week here and there maybe. I don't have any suggestions, though. Sorry. Check to see if there is a horticulture class at a vocational school and ask the teacher if there are a few kids interested in helping to get ready for the tour. They would be interested in plants more than most.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Barb, relax! People who go on garden tours are there to ooh and aaah, not critique. We had about 2000 folks visit our gardens when we lived in town (this was over a span of about six years, not all at once thank heavens) and no one complained or criticized.
    If the garden club doesn't choose your garden for the tour, there is something seriously wrong with them, and you can tell them I said so.
    If you enjoy your gardens, others will also. Just take it easy, don't worry about a weed or two, and get ready for a lot of compliments!

7. waretrop

I have not even been on a garden tour. Do they serve refreshments? I would like to have a guest book for everyone to sign when they arrive. I will make something cute for that.

I will not leave you all. I will have you in my side pocket, my cell, the whole time. :D :D

marlingardener, Were you in a garden tour or something? What ever did you to to have 200o people there. I am sure this will be a small group. I am out in the country.

We usually keep up on the weeds pretty well. We have little buckets hidden around so if we see one,
    (on our after work walk) then we just pull it immediately.

I put tons of new gardens in last year,(Remember my neighbor was on my land) that I have to fill in quickly, to the things get leaved out.

Yes, I have been doing well this last year with my emotions and I think I will continue to progress with all this excitement I am having this Spring.

carolyn likes this.
  8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Your subject line said 2015.... do you have a whole year to prepare?

9. Tina

Tina Young Pine

How nice!! You will do a great job!

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Barb honey, there were two places in our town worth visiting--a barbecue place and our garden (this according to a local newscaster, who brought his parents to visit.)
    We started out having a "wildscape" which is plantings to attract wildlife to your garden, sponsored by Texas Parks and Wildlife, and ended up being a Demonstration Garden. We had garden clubs, 4-H clubs, girl scouts, church groups, day-care children, and the occasional stop-by visitor. We even had the graduation ceremonies for a day-care in our garden, and provided a quiet place for the Hurricane Rita evacuees staying at a neighboring church. That accounts for the 2000 visitors over a six-year period.
    About refreshments--just sweet tea, and unsugared tea, and water. Use something unbreakable like styrofoam cups or plastic cups. Make sure there is a garbage pail somewhere in the middle of your garden, and also near the exit. Do not, under any circumstances, provide bathroom facilities! That leads to house tours and having someone stationed inside to make sure those who arrive know where they are going (no pun intended).
    If the garden club does not provide guides/docents/helpers, get several gardening friends to be stationed around the gardens to explain the lay-out, name plants, and keep an eye on things.
    The guest book is a great idea--make sure you have enough pages, because your garden is going to be a big attraction!

11. waretrop

So Tina, They go around and see everyone's garden at the end of June to select the ones they will tour for 2015. They don't want to hear what you are going to do just what it looks like in June. The tour will be very close to the end of July 2015. That is a very good time here for a good display, I think.

marlingardener, You are a doll. What great information. I am impressed.

Funny you said about the bathroom facilities cause I was thinking of getting a Port A John. Well, I guess I will see how it goes.

As far as help goes, I have had plenty of volunteers. I can't believe how many friends are so willing....no questions asked....

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Barb--I think that is wonderful & I really hope your garden gets picked. I bet it will, you have done such a great job with it.

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Barb as the others have said you won't have a problem. Your gardens are beautiful and you have such a variety of plants that everyone will be in their element wandering around looking at them all. :-D

Can we all have a preview before the event please?

14. waretrop

eileen have you seen my walk-a-bout of my front yard. I did many others but they didn't turn out very well. I will get more seriously about a video this Spring, if it ever comes.

15. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

First of all congratulations...and second,have a cup of tea![well you did ask what to do next]
    Maybe a visit to last years exhibits would be a good idea, I am sure the owners would be pleased to let you have an overview.It will turn out to be fun if you don't let it takeover your every thought, have fun.

16. waretrop

Oh, wonderful chocolate, Thank you. I wasn't involved in the club last year but I will be contacting the lady in charge to ask her that.