My mystery memory plant

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by pjadams, May 2, 2010.

1. pjadams

pjadams New Seed

When I was growing up my mom had a house plant the had round stems and very few leaves just on the ends of the stems. The stems grew amazingly fast. It would branch off and send new stems in other directions. It grew so fast! It had at the end of each stem a cluster of leaves bundled up like a very new sprig of dracaena. I know that's awfully vague. Does anyone have a clue what it might have been? There were few leaves except right on the end of the branching stems and the stems were about 1/4 inch around. You could watch the stems grow day to day they grew so fast. If it's like any plant I know of at all, I guess it's a bit like bamboo, but not stiff, much more pliable and tender -green,succulent. Branches off at a 45 degree angle from joints and growth can be measured almost daily. Leaves appear at the ends of the jointed shoots and any joint can send out a new stem, in any direction.

I can't find it anywhere on the net. I'm beginning to wonder if it could be the "lucky bamboo" (Dracaena sanderiana ). But would that get so big, and would it branch out, on its own? does it even have "joints"?

2. Loading...

3. pjadams

pjadams New Seed

Nope. :shrug: The more Dracaenas I look at online, the more I'm sure it can't be that. :-? Its stem would be more like a very tender green stem with those same "joints", but very flexible.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. pjadams

pjadams New Seed

That's an amazing tree! It's not my plant though. I'm just too vague in my description. I can see it in my head, but can't seem to describe it well enough.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It sounded a little like papyrus too, but that doesn't branch off. Now I'm intrigued!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Any chance of you getting a photograph for us to see JP? It would make IDing your plant so much easier for us.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Lucky bamboo does have joints and mine was similar to your description !!

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

10. pjadams

pjadams New Seed

I don't own the plant, my mom did butr she's been gone for several years.
    The stems resembled Dracaena sanderiana main stems, but were very flexible and branched off with new shoots willy nilly with no pinching. But I am going to get one anyway and just see if it chooses to branch like that on its own without pinching.