My New Calamansi

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Apr 13, 2010.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yesterday morning my mum drop by early in the morning with a new marcoted calamansi plant for me :-D . She bought it from the market from the same person that she bought her calamansi plant a few years ago which she marcoted a branch for me and it just refuse to grow.http://www.gardenstew.com/viewtopic.php?t=18003&highlight=unintended+bonsai Now it is almost ten months and it is still the same size.

[​IMG]
    New & Old Calamansi ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

It was indeed a pleasant surprise. Since I was a little busy yesterday and the wheather was really hot, I did not plant it on the ground.

Today was really hot too but there were some shades on and off from the clouds so I was able to start my farming activities earlier. :-D I very carefully dug out the stunted calamansi and planted it in a pot and it is now officially my first bonsai :D

[​IMG]
    My First Bonsai ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

I dug out the ground to more than a foot deep and added about 3 inches of grass cliping before putting in about 4~6 inches of the original soil mixture which I made when I replanted the old calamansi. The grass clipping is to attract the earthworms. After that a layer of compost about 1 inch is added followed by another layer of 4~6 inches of the original mixture until I get a raised bed 8~10 inches. Errr ...... I broke my shovel shaft of about 20 years old :'(

[​IMG]
    Once used to construct my home. ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Then a hole just to fit the new plant is bored and before dropping the plant in some compost is added in. When the plastic wrapping was removed I was pleased to see a very healthy network of roots. After dropping the plant in more compost is used to fill the gaps. With the trowel, the earth are moved to compact slight against the root ball of the plant.

[​IMG]
    The New Calamansi ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Now to keep my finger crossed that plant would not turn into another bonsai :!: :D

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your first bonsai, and good luck with not getting another one. :D Your dirt looks very nice, I must say.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm 'rooting' for you KK in the hope that your new calamansi plant grows tall and strong. What a good idea to make the other one into a bonsai!! :-D

Your poor shovel obviously died of old age and infirmity. :D Fingers crossed a new one will last for 20 years too.

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Droopy, the dirt initially is clayey and this is the third time I worked on it. I must say I am pleased to see a big fat worm in it when I was working on it. Now I have to find a proper place to park the bonsai. :D

Eileen, thank you very much for you positive thoughts :D I am keeping my fingers crossed too!!
    Will run down to the hardware store to get me a new shovel tomorrow. Another 20years??? I hope I can last that long :D

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good luck with the new plant.
    I see a piece of yard art in that broken shovel. Mount it on the fence in the same position as it is in the photo in memory of good and trusted helper.

6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Had to google that one to find out what it is. A lovely little plant. Fingers crossed it grows well for you. Who knows, you may well be rewarded with regular sized fruits on your tree in the ground, and mini teeny ones on your bonsai. :)

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Toni, that is a thought! :)

EJ thanks for the positive thoughts :) the big and small :D

8. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

Nice looking Calamansi Kk..Yesterday I took pictures of my Calamansi too. they've been with me for around 8 or 9 years and has given me and my neighbors quiet alot of it's fruits and I think it's going to retire very soon.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow!! 8 or 9 years for a Calamansi is fantastic Blackrose. I read that their average life span is about 5 years. :) Your fruits must be real juicy and I hope mine can last that long.

10. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

Hi KK, It was not giving that much fruit now sadly and the fruits are smaller. It's been with me longer than my jackfruit actually :). I did post a pic of it on my garden. I specially love the smell of it's flowers that I will buy it if they make one. lol

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Blackrose, I saw your grand old calamansi in your garden. Maybe you should marcot a healthy branch to propagate a new plant :) The Jack Fruit looks delicious and I love to eat them. :D Here we usually wrap the jackfruit to prevent boring pest from getting at it.